I Forge Iron

Blowing a lot of hot air here...

Iron Bear

Hard up for a blower here. I've seen a lot of people on youtube supporting the use of hand-crank snail blowers, and I know better than to trust the supposed hair-dryer technique. Only problem is I can't get a hold of an old hand-crank. I was looking at a $55 Stanley utility blower fan that had 3 speeds, rotating head, etc., but then I had a flash of brilliance, or possibly stupidity. Has anyone ever used a shop-vac as a blower? Most models can convert to blowing vs. sucking by taking the hose out and putting it in the exhaust, and I do have a shop-vac, but I would like to know my options before I try something I might regret. Anyone else have any great blower options? I would greatly appreciate any advice!

Iron Bear , I've been usin' a 240 V single phase ( OZ power ) 1500 w vac motor hooked up to a light dimmer switch for the last 14 yrs
Cost me about $ 40.00 AUD to set up

Can be LOUD at times , but after 14 yrs i don't hear it anymore . 1 of these days i'll move it into an outside box , but then i'd be lost without that background noise . :)

Another idea i'm toyin' with is getting an old hand crank grinder , riggin' a squirel cage blower to it , may not look pretty , but if it does the job who cares

Dale Russell

cool! I can probably rig something like that up. I have access to a lot of home repair supplies and odd parts where I work, so finding the stuff shouldn't be to hard. I really don't mind the noise either, as long as it works. If it can supply constant, strong airflow at the touch of a button that's good enough for me. The dimmer switch is really a stroke of genius though, I would have never thought of that. Ty for the input!

I know the hair dryer can get you by - I've just heard too much negative stuff about having to rip out the heating coil or having to rewire the thing because the heating coil was part of the blower circuit, etc. If I can't get anything else to work I'll try that of course, and I'm sure it will last a while. But I think I can make the dimmer switch idea work with the shop vac I have. But ty again for the input - good to know the hair dryer can work if I do have to go that route.

I just started smithing in earnest about a month ago. I found an old hair dryer at the Salvation Army thrift shop for $2.00 US that has a selector switch that allows you to decide whether or not to even *activate* the heating coils (which I never do, of course). It also has a seperate switch for fan speed (high or low).

Serves me pretty well. I'm even able to get my coal up to welding heat fairly easily.

I do have the blower assembly from a clothes dryer, just not hooked up yet. If I don't get a 110V motor for it, I might turn it into a hand-crank setup by using a bicycle cranks and gearing.

David

I used a shop vac to blow a trench forge---I needed a 2'+ long hot spot to do some box folding once.
I had to offset the pipes from the blower to the tuyere to waste enough air it didn't over blow the system.

As to noise----why damage yourself for fun when nobody's paying you to?

For a start up system I once found a small old "handyvac": solid Al case, no bag so it was cheap and a universal motor so you can use a rheostat to control it. Cost me $3 and was much quieter than a shop vac. I had a ridged radiator hose connecting it to the forge and at certain flow rates it would "sing" like an organ pipe.

I got ahold of a small squirrel-cage fan that was an electrical enclosure cooling fan (about 3 in fan). I'm in the process of putting a sewing machine motor on it so I can control it from stop to fast with the foot switch.

Some hand dryers use small blower fans like that too.

Can't think of what else I've tore apart that had good, small fans at the moment.

well, I DO have an old case vac that's sitting in my shed collecting dust, but I have a feeling it's in there because it doesn't work lol. I will just have to try a couple ideas and see what works best. I'm going to try the shop vac with dimmer switch first, then I'll try a hair dryer, if I can scrounge one up. After that I might try to tear down the old case vac and see if that'll work. TY for all the brilliance, guys. I finally got my forge assembled and worked out most of the kinks there, so I'll run everything up tomorrow if the weather's nice.

Iron Bear,

Contact your local heating/ AC company and ask then for the motor and assembly from the combustion chamber blower fans off a mid or high efficiency furnace. If you are lucky they have several around and you can get them free. Small, fairly compact, strong, and they run on normal house power. If you look at the bottom left you will see the blower I am talking about. I cut the bottom lip out before mounting directly onto the wall. I use a dimmer switch to control speed, and have more air then I will ever need. Sorry about the size of pic guys.

fireaway.jpg

nilfisk back in the 80,s made a vacum.
Back in Denmark you can walk into most forges and see one of these coupled up to the hearth!
Good suck..luck..

Yep many uses them here

I use the blower from an old oil burner like from an oil stove to heat up water and such they all have a good blower in em and can be taken apart from the oil inlet thingy..

DC

Well, as luck would have it the in-laws borrowed my shop vac indefinitely, so that's out anyways. But, I was able to hit up our small engine repair guy at work today and scrounged a 5" impeller fan from a weed-eater or chainsaw or something. Couple that with a fairly powerful fan motor and I might have something. Now I just have to figure out how to build a shell and I will have a pretty fair snail shell rotor fan for next to nothing. I love justifying hanging on to junk lol (old fan supplied the motor).