I Forge Iron

Well, i walked into Glen's anvil... ouch

AndrewOC

didn't hurt to much, just looks spectacular and i felt silly!

There is a much repeated tale that the navy smithy in Sydney made a standing order that rubber stoppers had to be put on the horn when they weren't used! Reportedly this was due to a ridiculous number of compo claims.
AndrewOC

18444.attach

well it's a beaut, but be glad you did not run into mine, I keep it just a bit higher due to my back issues, I really dread to think what issues you might have had, it's a big henry wright, and it's just about high enough to make you hit some spectacular notes, if you catch my drift!!

I am careful to have something like a table or stand near the horn of the anvil so no one can walk into it. My wife's rule is that if she walks into something, then I have to spray paint it bright orange. :D

So perhaps the answer is to have an adjustable stand for supporting work sticking out of the forge, and place that stand near the horn of the anvil when not in use.

My most serious injury blacksmithing was when I got a phone call. I put the piece I was working on the anvil, then hurried around the horn end to get the phone. I cut the corner too sharp and jabbed my thigh into the horn. I went "OW! OW!", started losing my balance, and then steadied myself by putting my hand on the anvil face - right where I put the still-hot piece. I said something more biblical and reproductive than "OW! OW!" and proceeded to answer the phone with my good hand.

So the big lesson learned is: Don't answer the phone in the shop. It's never important anyway. Other lessons: For crying out loud, don't be so stupid as to put hot stuff right where anyone can touch it! I also have a tennis ball with a hole in it bungee'd around the anvil. I place the horn in the tennis ball hole when the anvil isn't in use. This prevents the accidental extreme anvil goose. It looks pretty much like one of those rubber clown noses.

But mostly, just don't answer the stupid phone.

Edited by Marc