I Forge Iron

Questions about copper

poseyforge

I was wondering whether copper sheet is easily cut?
also what tools I would need to form it like punches and stuff.
lastly I was thinking of doing some crafty like stuff for Christmas such as two holly leaves with berries and small Christmas trees out of copper so I was wondering what to use to attach pieces... solder seems like the most obvious thing but again I'm pretty new to this, and also how to you enamel copper because I saw some holly leaves and berries and the leaves were green with copper veins showing through and the berries were red.????? Any help with this would be cool... :D:confused::confused::confused:

Edited by poseyforge

I assume you mean "sheet" as plate starts at 1/4 inch. Copper is fairly soft so you can cut it with the usual stuff like snips and such. Kinda tough to drill as it's "gummy" and wants to grab. Soft soldering works great on copper. Don't know squat about enameling, though. Have fun and be sure to have your report done by Friday.

True enameling requires clean copper that you apply ground coloured glass to (front and back) and then you heat it until it melts and slow cool it. They make little table top heating units for doing enameling as an art form (just had one go through the local fleamarket in great shape for US$10!)

If there is a community college near you they may offer a course in it I know the one less than 1 mile from where I am at now does.

Sure would be nice if you would edit your cp and list your general location---someone close might be able to make a suggestion on where you could get training!

Soft copper (annealed) is pretty easy to cut... snips, chisels, knives, shears, even heavy scissors (for thin sheet). Even low quality chisels and punches will normally be hard enough when used for copper. Soft solder works well on copper but it can also be hard soldered as I have often done. Riveting, stapling, bent tabs, wire wraps, fusion welding, forge welding, adhesives are some other possible joins.

You can get some neat effects with transparent acrylic colors that can be similar to enameled looks and are easier to do for the less experienced. Also try the faux-stained glass products.

Rio Grande Jewelry Supply has a starter kit. It can also be torch fired so you don't need to buy a kiln to start with. If a college isn't near you or you near one, you can learn most of what you need to know to start from books or form the net. Just Google it. There are some good articles on repossue on the net too. Repousse Tools and Techniques Copperheart: Tutorial - Intro To Enameling

Well back in 1120 AD Theophilus wrote instructions on using a charcoal fire for enamelling; they work BTW.

It's pretty easy to make a forge into a furnace, get your fire going and then stick a SS coffee creamer into the fire *sideways* and pile the fuel around it to heat.

Open the "door" and place the piece into it and let it heat till done and then let cool slowly.

Note that not every type of glass is suitable. When I was experimenting I found that 8 different stained glasses spalled too much upon cooling but a 1940's truck brake lens worked great! (note that adding borax did not help the stained glass!)

Also my first try at an oven was a terracotta flower pot---it melted in the forge.

Edited by ThomasPowers

I'm not sure if it was mentioned, but I like to braze copper when attaching branches to rose stems and so forth. It's a little more difficult than soldering, but the joint is strong and I think brass looks better against copper than solder does. Brass looks nicer as it ages too.

Look into Copper Phos rod to attach copper pieces, they are about the same color. It is generally used for refrigeration lines, and easy to use.

Google enameling, lots of info online.

Don't forget that there are still these things called libraries, and they have information stored in objects called books. The internet hasn't killed them off yet :rolleyes:

Brazing is like soldering, but at higher temperatures with a torch, or oven. Solder is basically a low melting temp lead/tin alloy. Brazing uses more copper based alloys; brass, phosphorous copper, and there is also silver based alloys - silver solder/sil braze.

To drill copper, make sure that you use some oil to lube the bit to prevent galling. It cuts easily, and is annealed (softened) by heating red, and quenching in water. Just the opposite of steel. Copper work hardens, and will crack if overworked. Hence knowing how to anneal copper can come in handy. It doesn't sound like you will have this happen with your projects, but if you get into deeper dishing, etc it may.

Libraries, don't forget the libraries. Your tax dollars at work, make use of them.