I Forge Iron

Floor tongs?

Cool Hand

I will try to get pics tomorrow if possible.

I bought a huge set of very old hand forged tongs. They are 4.5 feet long, weigh at least 60 pounds, and have hammer-eye points with a chain to lock the bottom of the tongs tight on something.

Any ideas what these type of tongs would have been used for? I would like to know before I do something stupid with them.

Sorry about not having pictures yet,
Cool Hand

They are to grab something large that has a hole or handling holes in it and may have been supported by a chainloop in use.

(Look at the handling holes in an anvil for an example of how they might be used)

Pretty well useless save as a curiosity unless you are doing LARGE work and have all the necessary equipment to need them.

Thank You, jkmas, I can't remember things as well as I used to, I had to make several sets years ago for the old stone mason, or as they used to call them "White Masons" to position some rather large stones that had taken a trip to the ground after a rather nasty storm.

I read an old technical manual on white masonry once and the most interesting things in it, was that Chelshire Cheese (sp) was one of the main ingredients in the glue they used to cement stones together for special purposes.

Edited by irnsrgn

We will use furnace tongs which are tongs about 7 feet long with ends on them like pickups however we will hang them from a overhead crane with the eyes we have welded on them. They are used for getting forgings out of the furnace when they are to small to use the fork grab or manipulator, I have some photos of me using them, will see it I can find the photos. Tongs with a c shape facing each other are normally refered to as shingling tongs, normally used under a hammer for forging blocks and discs to shape.

Phil

As promised a photo.
These tongs are used by us to get jobs out of the furnace to the hammer when they are to big or heavy to carry by hand. We have a monorail attached to the workshop roof running from the furnace to the hammer, the tongs hang on a chainblock which is on a trolley running on formentioned monorail.

18334.attach