I Forge Iron

My First "Artsy" project

Hi,Grant.A number of interesting metalworking skills involved here,i'm not sure that i can identify all.That bottom panel with the intertwined pattern almost looks EPDM-ish(?).
IF it's,indeed,"artsy"(i've not much use for the term or concept,way ambiguous),then you come to it from the only right direction:Skill first,then "art".
Everything about this frame hollers "competence" to me,both how the partsare made,and how they're joined.Very impressed,and wistful for this kind of skill level.
The idea of framing with steel is an interesting one,heck of a lot of unexplored potential.
I've talked with a German smith a few years back,who played with it some,neat stuff.He originally came to the technology through custom window-casement work.(Much replacing of very inefficient glass in Europe,most of which is very oddly sized,has to be custom).
Your wife's picture is also very interesting:Are those guys just forging,or is there some bloomery stuff going on,too?
Respectfully,Jake

I presume you mean EDM. No, it was roughed out in the mill and then way more hand work than I like to admit. The over-under was done with a side chisel. Overall it did seem to fit. The bamboo was upset by hand and swaged back down. The top should be obvious, no?

You may be right, it does look like a bloomery doesn't it? 'Cept the guy in the bottom left is grinding a finished tool.

Edited by nakedanvil

that looks really special - i cant believe youve never worked together before when you are both obviously artists??! I love the frame grant its amazing and like jake i wish for the skill levels! ive a little way to go...;)beautiful picture too - lots of talent to go round in yr house!