I Forge Iron

Serpent Pattern Sword Finished

JPH

Hello:

As promised earlier...here are the photos of the finished "serpent" pattern composite sword. Blade length is 23 1/2" x 1 1/4" wide, full length fuller each side. Bronze "antennea" style hilt with hand fluted black horn grip. Sheath is oxblood red leather with bronze chape/locket set with a 34+ carat black/silver star sapphie.

All in all I think it turned out quite well indeed...

JPH

571.attach

572.attach

573.attach

574.attach

Hello all:

Thank you..it's just something I whipped up on a whim..nothing better to do with my "free time" I guess.. I get these "ideas" every now and then..Some turn out OK like this one..most don't..sigh...the workings of a demented mind as my dear friend the late Bob E. would commonly refer to me...

Now I have to finsih that three coree twist/counter-twist interupt I did for that "walk through".will be on that in the next few days as well, still need to heat treat the thing..as soon as I get this one finished I will post pics..I am thinking a bone grip..

On how much $$$ this one is..um...these get expensive quick...and well..I'd rather not say on this site (for a couple of good reasons...), but if'n iyou're intersted, curious, just plain nosey or don't have anything better to do..look at my "In Stock" pages on my website at www.atar.com for info..In fact I have done a lot of work lately on the site and it's actually starting to make sense!! Still there's a whole lot left to do but I am making headway so please feel free to take a look..

Anyway I think this one worked out OK..

JPH

On how much $$$ this one is..um...these get expensive quick...and well..I'd rather not say on this site (for a couple of good reasons...), but if'n iyou're intersted, curious, just plain nosey or don't have anything better to do..look at my "In Stock" pages on my website at www.atar.com for info..In fact I have done a lot of work lately on the site and it's actually starting to make sense!! Still there's a whole lot left to do but I am making headway so please feel free to take a look..

Woo! I fit in with all of those!

Edit: After looking, I decided I agree with you. That IS quite a bit of money, but its not too much for the piece of art you get. If you put that sapphire into a really nice necklace or something, it would probably sell for that or more, and I'd rather have a beautiful thing like that then a necklace.

JIM- I went to the referred spot in your web site. I had no idea that you sold your blades for such an attractive price. Great work at great prices.

Will go back> I don't have time to really look at your site. Thanks for putting it up.

The just finished blade even at the price it has on it, is still cheap for that kind of blade and work.

You must really fly in your shop. Time spent is hard to get around. I have too many hours in some of the simple knives I put out the door. Need to learn how to cut the time down.grin.

Congrats on some really nice work.

Chuck

Tyler:

I do not use a salt bath for heat treating for several reasons, the biggest being is I am one great, big, yellow bellied, knock-kneed CHICKEN!! That is far too dangerous for me to even be around. One DROP of water or moisture on a blade or in any way gets into that bath and you will have molten salts spraying all over. I worry enough about the Nitre I use for royal bluing and those only get to 600 degrees or so... No..I heat treat the old way...and even that way has its own sets of hazards but it's still much safer than molten salts..

Doing that stuff..well I will leave that to folks who are braver than I am...

JPH (cluck cluck cluck)

Chuck, John:

Thank you for the kind words..My site still needs a whole lot of work to get where I want it to be but it is coming along. It was a total mess and frankly I wasn't all that keen on the way it was layed out and all, but my websmaster at the time kept telling me he'd "do it" and well..what he did..well...it wasn't done the way I wanted it to be. There is a certain level of "expectation" as to what my site should contain and be set up like, considering the "reputation" I have garnered (and have constantly tried to lived down..) and all (As ya all can probably tell I usually don't take myself serously most of the time...). So I work on it as time allows and it will be the way I want it here shortly I hope. Like I said there is still a lot to do on it buit as it is, right now it is 100 times better than it was...

On prices..I have been doing this stuff for a very, very long time..I got the "time down" on a lot of stuff...I don't stand around waiting for stuff to get hot..I will be fitting guards or drilling or soldering while stuff is heating..Not much "dead time" usually....

I don't believe in pricing myself out of the market...could I charge more?? Yeah, I could...but I couldn't look at myself in the mirror and the words of my Papuli come to mind when he said "Don't price your milk to high that it spoils in the can"....I have had to raise prices due to the fact that my raw material cost has risen dramatically and I hated to do that..but what choice do I have?? I try to keep my prices within reason and fair to everyone, including myself...I am a one man opperation, I own all my tools and I am pretty "fluid" when it comes to my work as one fellow said. I can just move from one step onto another without much fuss.

In fact the only "glitch" I have is leatherwork I HATE it..but I am taking a leatherworking class starting next month, thinking that just maybe if I actually KNEW what I was doing I wouldn't feel that way..Who knows right???

Anyway thank you again for the kind words..I appreciate them greatly..

JPH