I Forge Iron

Worth saving this anvil?

Greetings,

I am new to blacksmithing, having just taken a four day introductory class. I'm gathering tools so that I can start practicing what I learned.

I found in small anvil in the workshop of extended family, but it looks like it probably needs re-surfacing/edging. As it is so small, I am wondering if it is worth getting resurfaced; I know that I'll need a much larger anvil. It was probably used for shoeing at one time, but no one knows for sure.

Text on the side of the anvil says Peter Wright Patent England Solid Wrought 0 3 1.

4025988709_718083ee26_o.jpg

4025988725_3db787f83e.jpg

4025988715_a02c8d1c81.jpg

4025988693_294758feda.jpg

Thanks for your time.

-Matt

Edited by mmthomas

That anvil is in good condition. The edges and face are fine for all but jewelry work. I would not try any "restoration" on that anvil, but use it as is. That is considered a good brand of anvil as well.

Should be 85#, a nice size for a travel or first anvil.

Phil

I have an almost identical anvil, I gave it to my grandson. I used it for awhile and did everything I normally did, including finishing plow shares after drawing out under the power hammer. I had a big anvil once, I only used it for doing the wing pivot on walking plows as it was too large for anything else except very large forgings when 1 or more strikers were available. Most blacksmith shops in the old days used anvils from that size up to about 150 lbs unless they had several journeymen and appretices and did industrial forgings. A big bulky Anvil doesn't make you a better blacksmith.

More damage is done to anvils trying to "fix" them than due to abuse in my experience. Remember the high carbon face layer is of limited thickness and taking it down just to make things "shiny" is throwing away years of life! Also we get a lot of "I want to weld up the edges as they are not sharp". Funny thing in the old blacksmithing texts they say the first thing you do when you get a new anvil with sharp edges is to round them off so they don't produce cold shuts in the surface of your work.

Wire brush the face, hit it *LIGHTLY* with a sanding disk if you must and get to work!

Excellent size for a travel anvil and once you have one anvil you are more likely to have others turn up out of the woodwork!

I think it will be fine just as it is! I have a mid 1800's anvil beaten nearly to death but you will find that you will get used to the imperfections and use them to your advantage. Anyways now that you have gotten into all this blacksmithery business you will always have your eyes peeled for another anvil. Its called anvilitis, the inability to pass up a good deal on yet another anvil!

I certainly think that little 85 lb Peter Wright is too far past usable......
I'll give you a few bucks for your troubles, and you can send it on over here. :D

Personally I'd LOVE to have a little PW like that for demo work! My 178 Trenton is in nearly the same condition and I use it almost every day for my general forging work.
If I were you, I wouldn't do a thing to it, just start using it and the face will get shiny on it's own.