I Forge Iron

Roman scorpion sale (not sure where to put this)

so someone wants me to build them an approx. 4 ft tall by 5-6ft long roman style scorpion...i've done similar projects before but never sold one so i'm not really sure on how to price it (material/fuel cost is between $150-$300 depending) i havent been able to find anything like this with a price tag on it for a rough idea so any ideas from you guys on a fair price?

with the sad lack of common seance out there theses days i would be vary scared to sell anything thing that shoots. have no idea about price, but i hope you have some type of insurance and will be selling it as a "non functional historic replica"
it dose look really cool though, i hope to see pictures when your done! just make sure your not responsible after it leaves your hands

with the sad lack of common seance out there theses days i would be vary scared to sell anything thing that shoots.... but i hope you have some type of insurance and will be selling it as a "non functional historic replica" .......

I agree with Mlmartin. It sounds like a potential liability nightmare. The one thing about artillery is that it eventually fails, especially the antique designs. :(

thankfully its going to a person i know and trust and there should be lots of pictures for when its done

I don't want to rain on your parade, and I do hope your friend can be a friend through "thick and thin". But it is not uncommon for known and trusted friends to quickly become otherwise if they get hurt and think it's your fault.

I'm not recommending to not make the scorpion. Just don't make one that can be operated right out of the box. Let your customer know up front, in writing and keep a copy, that it is not designed or intended to be used. If he signs an acknowledgement, even better. That way if he fiddles with it and gets hurt you can show it's his fault not yours. A suit could still be filed but it might keep it from going anywhere.

Just my $.02 worth. good luck.

Bill

My hard earned experience has taught me that the closer the relationship you have to the client, the clearer the understanding and more legally binding the WRITTEN agreement has to be.

Figure the cost of all materials, fastenings, finish, shipping etc. and multiply by a factor of 10 to get a ballpark estimate of the projects cost. If there is a lot of forging, heat treating or machining to be done, figure even more.

This assumes you are actually doing this to make money beyond a third world level minimum wage. If you are representing yourself as a professional, then you are licensed, bonded and insured as required in your state, right? You ARE assuming all product liability whether you do the project for free or at full price . Better to get paid enough to make it worth the risk.

Good luck, sounds like a fun project. My teenage son build one that shot six foot fire arrows 150'

I happen to know a bit about ballistas and seriously advise against it. A very good friend of mine is a machinist who has built full scale ballista replicas. Aside from the fact that it took him months to complete his first ballista, he went through several arm designs before he found one that wouldn't break.

This project will probably take longer than you think, and your estimate for materials is way off. I don't see how you could build one for a reasonable price and make any profit unless you seriously cut corners, which is not an option when building siege weapons.

I've shot my friend's ballista and it is extremely powerful and has the potential to break during wind up or firing. The bolt is not nearly as dangerous as the ballista itself.

Sorry to be so astute but this is a risky one.

Take care,
Brook

And as another Gloomy Guss: I actually read the fine print on our insurance policy once. It includes the proviso that if I am involved in an accident with a possible 3rd party involvement I am *REQUIRED* to sue that third party whether I want to or not. If I don't the insurance company doesn't have to pay!

The other problem happens whenyou do this a favor for your friend and then he sells it after the new wears off to some lame brain, who hurts someone with it. I am an aircraft mechanic and have a friend that did just that with some service work he had always done on a friends airplane (Annual inspection), then the guy sold the airplane, the new guy didn't know how to switch the fuels tanks in filight, so he ran out of gas and crash with one full tank in the right wing tank, so he sued the mechanic for improper maintenance which had nothing at all to do with the accident. He eventually won the case, but he lost plenty of money defending himself from somebody else stupidity.