I Forge Iron

propane blues

An extra propane tank or two solves that problem......when the first one runs out, the second is hooked up right then and forging continues. You have until that tank empties to get the first one refilled. For those who are procrastinators, a second spare will get you by until you refill the first two.

Well - I'm glad I'm not the only one this happens to. Yes - I usually have a spare tank or 2. We are only human and sometimes the amount of forge time is not recorded or remembered if it's been awhile and the next thing you know your half way through a forge project and then puff puff puff goes the gasser and you notice it's loosing preasure and heat. Then is a frantic run to the propane outlet and get them filled. I haven't seen them ( guess I haven't looked either ) but it'd it'd be nice to actually have a gauge like a torch set on the propane tanks to see where they are at as far as to the amount left inside them. That way one could take a quick look and see if they will have enough gass to do the job. The filling stations I use, only charge for amount put into the tanks - so it doesn't matter if it's completely empty or partially full, I only pay for amount that was put "in". If I know I have a bigger job or will be having the forge going for a long time I'll fill first then I'm sure I won't run out during the project ( usually anyway) - JK

You could always sit the cylinder on a set of bathroom scales. That way you would know just how much you still have :)

OR, you could just have a second cylinder connected ready to go and just flick over when it fails but why be so simple. The scales with the accompanying maths of minutes per gram of fuel at different setting would definitely help keep old timers disease at bay!

OR, you could just go to solid fuel and look at your heap of fuel each session..........

Just record your empty weight (also called tare weight) before using the scale. That is more reliable since propane is stored liquid and therefore is temperature dependent for pressure if there is any liquid left.

Record your start and end weight a few times and and calculate your consumption per hour at various common settings. (forging with 1, 2, N burners, welding with 1, 2, N burners, etc) After that, its easy to track your requirements for a day of forging.

Just a thought, but keeping a filled spare tank seems easier.

Phil

Maybe I'll get crafty and wire a contact on the scale needle so a buzzer will go off when it hits a certain weight.

They also have magnetic tank gauges at the hardware store. I don't know how accurate they are when the tank starts to freeze though.

Another idea I've had for years but never tried was to submerge the tank in a large bucket of water. As the tank gets empty its bouyancy increases and will slowly rise. You could mark the tank with a piece of tape. When the tape hits the top of the water you'll know you only have x amount of time before you're out.

Right now I'm using two 40# RV tanks. When one runs out the other one is right there. Since I don't run the forge all day I have plenty of time to refill. If I live long enough to retire I am seriously considering getting a 300 gal tank and running a line into the garage/smithy which will serve both the forge and the heater (I don't forge every time I'm in the garage). One local supplier leases them for about $30 per year plus the cost of filling. The first fill bites a little but it's less per pound than buying it 20 or 40 lbs at a time. Plus they don't charge for delivery(YMMV). It might be worth checking the bulk prices.

Bill

Edited by wedwards
corrections

Building a new shop for the last five months and haven't been smithing. I originally bought two 5 gal tanks and then work gave me four 7.5 gal tanks and one 10 gal. Seven tanks!! Last wee, a family member asked for a business card holder so I used that as an excuse to fire up the forge....You guessed it....had to rob the BBQ grill. I was abused by my own family !! Just goes to show that no good deed goes unpunished.