I Forge Iron

Looking for blacksmith ancestor

I'm looking for my Great Grandfather who to my knowledge was a blacksmith in the mid to late 1800's. My problem in finding him as he ran off with another woman leaving my Great Grandmother and 8 or 9 kids to start another family. So to my family this man did not exist any more making it hard to get information on him. Now I know he was a dirty so in so but still an ancestor of mine and I want to know about him. Especially when I too have a love of blacksmithing.

So my question is, does anyone know if there may be records I might excess to maybe find him. I believe they lived in Choctaw county in Mississippi around the mid to late 1800's and his last name was Barron. This all I know about him and have not had any luck so far with other research wed sights.

Any advice or information will be helpful and I will truly appreciate the help.
If I placed this on the wrong page please forgive me was done due to lack of knowledge.
Thanks again
Billp

Check county records for birth, and death certificates. Although during the mid 1800's you had the Civil War going on, and if he got caught up in that he could have been buried in far more places.

Good luck with the search. I just recently saw some pictures of my grand parents, and great grand parents. Kind of gives you a sense of where you came from.

Will thanks guys just thought I would give it a shot. I was hoping maybe they have some type of gild or union like organization they might have belonged to. But, I also understand thy most were very private about there skills and not into sharing like today. Guess that was a way of one upping the competition if you could do something they couldn't.

Oh by the way BIGGUNDOCTOR so far I have at least 5 ancestors who fought for the Confederacy out of Miss. and La. (sorry) and have one going back into the 1700's. It's just this one is a bugger with out his first name but I will keep at it.
Any way thanks again
Billp

I agree with the other posters that it is unlikely you will find any kind of a guild or professional registry from that era. Check the county court house where he and your GGM lived until he took off. There may be land and tax records there which could give you his first name. The tax records would probably be in the District Court records and the land records with the county clerk. Ask the clerk's staff for the "Grantor/Grantee Index" of the county real estate records. There may well be other information there as well. Ask the clerks what other records there may be. Good luck.

Bill

billp,
Ancestri.com 1880 census has William C. Barron, 26 born about abt 1854 occupation blacksmith maried to Elverona. Home in 1880 Whitefield, Oktibbeha, Mississippi
If this helps. Pm me with your email and I will send you a full copy of the page.
Travis
If you know your Great Grandmothers name it might help. i have a subscription to ancestry.com

Edited by Covforge
adding info

Thank again Folks
I do truly appreciate all who have tried to help. But so far no luck I do belong to ancestry.com and have gotten a ton of information on this sight. I must say if your looking for past family it is a very good place to look. But no luck on this ancestor as of yet. As I don't know his first name or any diffident dates really makes it hard. I may have ran across him under his 2nd wife not knowing it. As I said before to the Perry family my Grandparents, Aunts and Uncles he was never talked about as if he did not exist.
To kick my bottom even more at one time I did take my Dad to a family reunion of this side of the family and sat down with my cousins and got a lot of information from them. But have put it in a safe place somewhere and now can't find that information. Ain't that all the luck.
One good bit of news though I did discover my Great Great Grandfather Henry Perry and did discover he was a blacksmith too. Or it could be in trying to remember things I was told this may have been the smith in the family and not the other. I have unwrapped a number of tails to discover the truth which was sometimes not exactly what I was told or remembered.
Any way to anyone who ever did this before it can be mind numbing but like finding gold when you make discoveries about your past. I'll keep at it and maybe over time he will pop up.
Thanks again for all your help.
Billp