I Forge Iron

Road Trip to Pickup New Ayang!

I am halfway to Texas to pickup my new Anyang hammer! James has generously offered to spend some time in his shop with me Saturday showing me some of the basics and maybe a few tricks for working with it. I am pleased to have the opportunity as I have lots of questions for him.

I hope you guys don't mind if I share my enthusiasm with the group here as you sort of feel like family to me. I saw this hammer demoed at the BAM
conference this spring and I was WOWED!

The hammer has been ready for a while now but I got too busy to go get it.
I have a pretty good pile of iron waiting to be drawn out with it so I think I am ready! I'll let you know how it goes as I get it put to work!

Clay

Mike; it's a twenty pounder... don't be fooled though... I figure that it's the rough equivalent of ten young and tireless strikers available 24/7 at the flip of a switch with no overtime or holiday bonuses!! I might be conservative there too as it would be hard for even ten such as they to strike 4 times per second!

It IS exciting Frosty! I stopped off in Vinita today and got my hair cut. The barber said I was just like a kid in a candy store about that power hammer!!

Thanks Beth; I'll share a few tips with James permission but you'll have to get your own hammer and drive out here to haul it home to get the full lesson.

Bentiron; There are quite a few Chinese speaking people here! At my hotel tonight I had a long wait because a party of such was complaining rather tediously that they did not get all of the discounts that some other customer had. It worked to my benefit because the manager gave ME a discount just for being so nice (and patient)! WOO HOO nice guys CAN win!!

Clay

I guess you needed a haircut to settle your nerves? Man you ARE excited!

I understand though, I was grinning ear to ear all the way home when I bought my LG. On the drive down I had to keep in mind it wasn't going to be in good enough condition for me to spend the money on it. As soon as I took it for a test drive the grin came out and didn't fade for days.

I'm happy for you.

Frosty

sounds like a fun trip! from the pics Ive seen James workshop is bigger than my factory!

The small hammers are fun, people look at them as if your offering them a tonka toy, 20 mins and a pile of scale later they cant get get the insane grin from their faces! :D

Beth, you ever get the motor sorted for your 25kg Anyang ??

thanks john yeah i did - it was my electrician who wired it in wrong - was all a bit awkward! got the motor you suggested and for v frustrating reasons - the school hols started and then ended but then i am straight into having to home school one of the kids for a few weeks - i have yet to try it STILL!!:( My time will come ??? i know im going to love it - have been looking at all the you tube vids i can find to keep the ole spirits up!:) hope things good with you :)

I am home with the Hammer!!!! It is still in the truck though. I do have some nice photos but am still trying to get them processed. I will upload some tonight or tomorrow. The Anyang already sold one item for me as it served as a traveling advertisement in the back of the truck. Seems like I may have a new customer as a result (possibly a couple of new friends also). This hammer is magical! I got some nice pictures of Longhorn cattle as I was leaving James shop and didn't realize (until talking with him on the phone this afternoon) that they belonged to James dad. They were so tame that they seemed like puppies! Such incredibly beautiful animals!

I stopped at a little flea market in Springdale Arkansas and bought a small box of old chisels and lug wrenches that are good punch and chisel stock. Average price was about 50 cents and some pieces were nice large ones too. I got a couple more and a couple of old wooden handled screwdrivers at antique malls in Ozark Missouri. I like to reforge the tips on the old screwdrivers and regrind them for better than new usability. They are far more attractive than the plastic handled ones... cheaper too! I have become pretty skilled at reshaping the tips and have whittled the grinding down to a bare minimum now. I just short heat the tips and leave the handles intact. I thought that I would eventually have surplus ones to resell but it turns out my wife is a talented tool user and she is pretty well able to handle my output.

BTW Frosty my angle on the haircut was to look extra spiffy for the pictures. Well it was a good idea anyway.

1500 miles in three days plus forging and posting and antiquing was a pretty full schedule... my tank was right on empty when I got here! I had hoped to have some company and another driver but it didn't work out that way. I got caught where there were few inns on Sunday night and those were full. I was too tired to keep going so had to nap in a parking lot in the truck... not very restful!

Clay

bigfootnampa

I did a road trip last yr 1800 km's to pick my 15 kg / 33 lb Anyang hammer here in OZ .

Left MOONY'S ( OZ Anyang agent ) , drove for an hr got pulled up in Canberra ( state capital ) by federal cops wantin' ta know what was in the " box with all the Chinese writing on it "

Drove 2 more hrs & had ta stop for nite

Next mornin' after i'd left motel & heading outta town i got pulled by state coppers ,,

$ 864 later for un regoed trailer / licence check / vehical check i got ta travel the rest of the way home

Hammers in , 12 months of usin' " thumper " & i's love it

Pick Louie - the FLYpress up tomorrow , he's gonna sit beside " thumper "

Dale Russell

Clay... enjoyed the time we spent together Saturday. I know you will use the hammer to take your work to another level and save your elbow joint at the same time. My offer is alway open... anyone who wants to come to my shop to try out the hammers our just talk about blacksmithing, my shop is always open (please call first).
Those Longhorns are my fathers pets. He got them because they are "Texas". The beef is also good, leaner than chicken and tastes very good. Get a bag of feed and they follow you around like little puppy dogs.

Those Longhorns are my fathers pets. He got them because they are "Texas". The beef is also good, leaner than chicken and tastes very good. Get a bag of feed and they follow you around like little puppy dogs.

When our son was 14 (he's now 30) he worked for a friend of ours that had 25 Longhorns. His job was to feed the cattle, horses, and emus.....yeah, I said emus. Anyway, that was how these Longhorns were too...would follow him around all over the place. And he didn't have to have a bag of feed! They just knew that he was the one that fed them! Beautiful animals. Thanks for the pics of them...fond memories.

I got the hammer off the truck and set up (kinda temporary) so that I could use it a bit. I worked on some 1/4" X 1 1/2" stock that I am making into large 30" long strap hinges. I had previously made a prototype by hand hammering so I had a good reference. It was much easier and faster with the new hammer!! I noticed that I drew the metal out about three inches longer (on half of a 36" bar) than I did the one that I did by hand. I may have to rework that one to even up the looks. I also made a new hot cut chisel from one end of an octagonal bar that seems to be crowbar type steel. I had previously made a small tapered square punch and drift by hand hammering on the other end of this bar. The hammer noticed the strength in this steel but was able to force it into submission anyway. Much much easier with Mr. Anyang though!

I am quite happy with the overall performance. I need more practice but could realize quite a significant increase in output immediately.

Clay

• 5 weeks later...