I Forge Iron

The flame goes out in my home made forge

mfkerr

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and forging. I'm glad to have found this great informative site.
I am building a forge by plan from this site: BP0192 Gas Forge | Blueprints 100-200

When I tested my burner, (I just read on another thread that I need to get a better regulator: I'm using a turkey fryer reg) it lights off what seems to be acceptable but when I turn the gas up, the flame blows itself out.
Can somebody give me some insight on this problem and solution. I am getting a new regulator today anyway, but don't know if it will correct my problem.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Mark

Doesn't sound like a regulator problem to me; I've used a turkey fryer regulator on a propane forge for 5 years so far.

If the flame is blowing off the end of your burner it's a burner design and execution issue. Is that burner designed for the back pressure of a forge and so not working well in open air?

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and forging. I'm glad to have found this great informative site.
I am building a forge by plan from this site: BP0192 Gas Forge | Blueprints 100-200

When I tested my burner, (I just read on another thread that I need to get a better regulator: I'm using a turkey fryer reg) it lights off what seems to be acceptable but when I turn the gas up, the flame blows itself out.
Can somebody give me some insight on this problem and solution. I am getting a new regulator today anyway, but don't know if it will correct my problem.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Mark

You didn't post your location but at guess I'd say you are some place in the south.

Flame blow out is the result of too much gas for the cross sectional area and length it has to flow through. Use a smaller diameter and/or longer pipe into your forge. Better yet, discard every thing except the regulator and the hose connection and build one of the other burners described here. Frosty's T burners work well and are dog simple to build correctly.

what size is your forge, or at least the opening for it?
I just switched my set up from a one to a two burner(running a little rich). With the extra burner, one would seem to go out for a sec then relight it self... once I made a bigger opening for exhaust gasses it works great!:D

good luck!