I Forge Iron

New to Me Forge

billp

I just bought a forge and anvil from a friend who thought he wanted to get into blacksmithing but soon found out it was not for him. He had bought this equipment from a now out of business blacksmith shop and didn't know much if anything about either piece. Any way when he came to visit and learned that I had taken up blacksmithing he offered to sell me this combination and for the price he asked I bought it off him.

Now what I'm asking is does anyone know anything about this forge? My friend said it was ment to be used for making horse shoes which may be but it's really a nice size for what ever you want to do. The hand blower that is attached works real well and to spite how he had it stored. The pan is really thick but is missing the origonal fire grate. My friend made one that is off to one side in my picture. I took it off till I decide if I want to make a new and different one or just put it back till it burns out. All in all it's not in bad shape I'm thinking of taking the legs off and putting them up to keep then replace with something that rolls and is more portable but look the age of the forge. The clean up want be much as the blower is in good shape there is some rust in the pan but one or two good fires should take care of that if not I can go over it with a wire brush or buffing wheel on a hand grinder.

To tell the truth I thought the anvil would be the best part of the deal but after going over everything I'm begaining to think the forge is the better part. So if any one has any ideas on the who's, what's, and why's of this froge please let me know. I will appreciate any thoughts or advice given.
Billp

17499.attach

17500.attach

17501.attach

17502.attach

That's a dandy forge, Bill. Enjoy it.

For what it is worth: This seller on eBay has a very nice replacement tuyere plate for sale. Blacksmith Tuyere Plate Iron Forge Repair Item - eBay (item 270431164923 end time Sep-19-09 21:01:39 PDT)
These are heavy, cast ductile iron. I have one I have used in a brake drum firepot, and another small round forge I built. Still in great shape, even after laying around outside all last winter and spring.

I bought several things from him, and bought more at Quad-State last year. Nice fella, good product. I recommend him highly. Not saying you have to buy from him, but thought I would throw this out in case you want a new air plate.

Thanks guys
Frosty I'm finding out I can always count on you for you opinion and I appreciate it.
Keykeeper I will check out your man on the air plate. To tell the truth that is only 1 of the 2 parts I'm concerned about, so I'll give it a look.
Now if I can just figure out how to change out the legs to something I can roll around and move, as this is one heavy bugger. It will just take a little time as I do have several ideas but can always use more. I am keeping the original legs and don't want to alter them in case I need or want to put it back to it's original state.
Thanks again folks
Billp

Bill
I wouldn't change those legs , just make a small trolly to sit under back legs , wheel to where you want , then lift off & sit back down on the ground

my 2 cents , sure in a nice forge , hope you got it for a good price , stuff like that down here in OZ ( Australia ) you have to sell your first born to be able to buy

Dale Russell

The legs should be held on the forge by set screws or maybe through pins/rivets.

What I think I'd consider is making a dolly for it, something like a furniture dolly with a plywood deck and sockets to secure the legs. It would minimize messing with the forge, make it more easily mobile and provide a handy shelf off the ground for an ash bucket, covered coal bucket or whatever.

This is the kind of furniture dolly I'm thinking of but making one similar to a hand truck with larger wheels might work better.

Furniture Dolly 18" x 30" - eBay (item 320295199901 end time Sep-29-09 06:33:17 PDT)

Frosty

Keykeeper; I checked out the tuyere plate you spoke of and liked it so I got one to replace my friends home made plate.

Dale & Frosty; Yes I have though of a trolley or dolly even came up with a plain to build one out of 1 x 3/8 angle iron made to fit. But I fear the small wheels would mire down in the ground as I have to work outside and store inside a very crowded shop. Plus the forge is so heavy I can handle it taking it on and off the dolly but it's a chore. I would hate for it to fall and brake off where the blower attach

Edited by billp
correct mistakes as always

That makes sense Bill, that's why I thought a hand truck type of thing might work better with larger fatter tires. Spoked wheels would look better for sure.

When I want something portable I weld two short lengths of 1" sq. about 14" off the ground to be receivers for my wheel barrow tires. They're mounted on 3/4" sq. tubing and slip into the 1" sq. and pin. It turns whatever it is hand truck style portable.

Best of all to my Scotts heart, I only have to have the one set of wheel barrow tires to move all kinds of stuff. ;) Most of the time they live under my portable welder/generator.

Frosty

looks like the same forge I have. Dad found it at a local antiques dealer back home. I remember going to get it, and having to get it uprighted out of the dirt yard. It is a handy size.

Why not just attach the wheels to the legs that are on it. Just make a clamp arrangement for the axle. Easy enough to do with u-bolts.

I thought about that biggundoctor but again I don't want to hurt the legs that are on it now. I know they can and will hold up just sitting in one place but as my buddy and I were moving it and loading it in my trailer they seemed kind of fragile to all the movement. So I would feel better if I just replaced them. Cause again if I ever sold it as an antique plus a working forge I would need the legs intact that are on it now. Doubt I ever will but who knows what's in the future. Besides as I progress in skill I hope to start going to do local fairs, flea markets, festivals things like that just for something to do not trying to make a living. Any way this forge with it's on blower attached would work great for these events. The other 2 forges I built have electric blowers on them and where ever I'm at I may not be able to use electricity. Besides the hand cranked blower to me just works and looks so much better. But no your idea is good, if I just felt more confident in the legs holding up to the movement involved. They might could take the stress but over time they just don't look like they could to me.
Thanks again
Billp

Edited by billp

I had some metal laying around and happened to come across blksmith.com. From the pictures of his this is what I come up with. I'm very new at this but it seems to work pretty good. The only things I might do is try to come up with a way to mount the blower on the forge and have some removable handles (like wheel barrow handles).

New computer, can't upload pictures.
Maybe I'll figure it out soon!

Edited by bsiler

I like that bsiler, now that's the type wheels I want to put on this forge I just got. I just need to take the existing legs off and make new ones to go with the wheels. Then I'll add a rack to hold tongs and such plus use the rack as a handle when moving it around all attached to the new legs.
Thanks the picture helps me envision what I want to build.
Billp