I Forge Iron

Aso

is there any way to attach good steel to an ASO for a pounding face?... i have been thingking about buying one of those 55# anvils from harbor freight for the horn and hardie hole. just wondering if i could attach a piece of forklift tong i have to it for a removable striking face.

Before I found an anvil I could afford, I used a 55lb Harbor Freight ASO. I took a 30 lb steel counter weight roughly the size of the top of the ASO; it was almost 3 inches thick and I welded a drop down flange on both sides of the plate. It stayed on with the ASO with the flange holding it on both sides but shifted down when I used it. I solved that by welding a nut on the bottom roughly the size of the hardy hole. With the nut in the hardy and the flanges on the sides, it was rock solid. It stayed on top of the ASO without movement and made a passable 85 lb anvil. By pulling, off the steel plate I could use the hardy hole. Worked great.

If you have nothing better a cast iron ASO is the best anvil you have. I've done good work on them as have a number of guys here abouts. They aren't much but they're better than nothing.

If you have a fork lift tine bury point down it so it's at your working height. do I have to say like this? ( 7 )

It'll ring like a giant bell but it'll make a fine anvil.

Frosty