I Forge Iron

yet another anvil stand thread

my two cents......

currently I work out of my garage, my anvil is on a maple stump and is not anchored to the ground due to moving needs. when I move into my little shop in the next week or so I won't be anchoring there either. Never been told to anchor it and what if you need to work on a strange piece and have to move the anvil? I say don't anchor, but do secure it to your stand.

oh yeah your question..... I have seen some cool designs here made from 2x10's. some from angle, others using I beam and old RR track. As long as it is secure, balanced and safely put together I say use whatever works for you or you have available.

I don't know why I was second guessing myself then. It seems all over this forum everyone is constantly screaming to anchor their anvil. Perhaps I have read too much into things. I have always had mine secured firmly to a rather large mesquite stump and it has worked fine. And the few times I needed to move it I could.

So thanks for making me not worry about my new space. I was already frustrated enough that I wouldn't be able to sink my leg vise like I wanted to.

Anchor the vise as you do the stump. Secure it at the top and consider a steel plate with a short section of pipe to act as a receiver for the vise post at the bottom. If the plate is large enough to attach to a bench leg, and stand on while using the vise, that vise is not going to move much at all.

Look at this vise design BP1009 Post Vise.