I Forge Iron

My latest one

I just finished this up today. I just winged this one as well.

The base is made of 1" bar, the 'spindles' are 3/8" bar, and the top is 1/4" plate.

I'll be sending it off to the fellow that sold me my big leg vice. He seemed really interested when I told him I was setting up a blacksmith shop. He went through a lot of hassle to ship me a 170 pound vice without charging any extra, so I'm trying to return the favour.

Feedback welcome. Please be gentle as it's my 3rd piece :)

Thank-you.

17039.attach

17040.attach

17041.attach

3rd or 300th try, I would still be mighty pleased to produce a piece like that and I think your recipient should be blown away to receive it.

By way of critique not criticism, IMH(humble)O maybe the base and pedestal are a little heavy weight for the size of the top, but I suspect it was made with materials available.

I love the concept, well done mate.

Sask Mark,
I have the same problem, and until recently had no idea why, then I read a book called the power of limits, it really opened my eyes up to design and proportion, I'm still a long way from good, but now at least, when I finish a project, and it does not quite look right, I know why!! I like your piece very much, and may emulate it at some point, well done.

HI Mark,
I agree with Mick in that a smaller size base would make it more proportionate and less heavy to the eye. May I ad that I like the organic look of those root looking parts, and if you make them less simetrical, they may appear more artistic and natural. For being a
3th piece I`d give you an A, save the plus,because I know you`ll improve as all of us do. Very nice piece! Nelson.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Craig. I appreciate the feedback. Actually, I had stability in mind when I built it for the safety factor.

My second piece was a shepherd's hook (with 2 hooks) that I made from 2 3/8" square bars twisitng around each other (with reverses in the twists), then splitting off to form each hook. I never posted any pictures for 2 reasons:

1. It is hard to photograph to show the details
2. I'm not very happy with how it turned out.

Btw, how is that new anvil working for you?

Hey, 2 out of 3 aint bad...I got an awful lot of stuff I wouldn't post pictures of.
As for the anvil, the last time I had the fire going I was straightening out one of the rear springs off my Taurus in the vise with the intention of making another pair of tongs and maybe some punches...but I haven't gotten much chance to try out the anvil yet...One thing I'm looking forward to is making some various hardy tools since it's got a 3/4" hardy hold as opposed to the 1" which, for me will make a big difference if I want to forge them out of solid bar...also it has a pritchel hole, something I never had before and wished I did...and a horn that is actually round and pointed instead of the flat topped stubby thing sticking out of the front of my ASO.
So, the short answer is, I'm happy with it so far !! :)