I Forge Iron

Abana 2010 Memphis conference

Does anyone know what Abana might be thinking about for a registration fee? I've checked their site but they are holding that card pretty close to their vest. I would like to attend but with the travel expense from Wyoming the fee could be a deal breaker. I considered asking them directly but I suspect if it isn't on their website I'm not likely to get it in an e-mail. Any insight would be appreciated.

Bill

In my humble analysis, I believe the overall cost of these events and the small percentage of the membership that can or do attend will be cause for change in the thinking that supports national conventions. Regional get togethers could better serve those interested in attending such events. As the US slides further into this very obvious recessionary period we should be focusing on more financially realistic events as opposed to the annual national event. The blacksmith has always survived the tough times and will continue to. However, it is in our best interest to regionalize these gatherings if we are to include a larger portion of the membership.

Peter

ABANA was talking about rolling the conference fee back to what it was ten years ago. I've been to three of the last four conferences. So if I had to guess it will be just under or just over $200.00. If anyone decides they are going and require information about Memphis or surrounding areas just contact me. I've lived in or near Memphis forever. We have a small farm in Somerville 25 miles east of there now. I'm really glad they chose the Agricenter site over Mud Island. Agcenter is a cool venue for events such as ABANA.

bigjohn,

Thanks for the information. If it's in that range it's doable for me. I have to plan several months ahead of time to arrange time enough to get there and back in an RV. I may be contacting you for more details once I have it all pinned down. Thanks.

Bill

Bill,
I have the capability to support up to two RV's at my place. My parents are full time RVers and they drop in frequently so I made hookups for them. I could probably run a third hookup from the shop. If you are budget minded you could save the camp fees and stay at my place.Current Agricenter rates are $27 daily or $160 weekly.This means you could save that money to buy tongs, hammers, beer, BBQ. You would be more than welcome. That applies to anyone else thinking of traveling to Memphis for the conference or otherwise. I have lots of room to "dry camp" as well as space for tents and so on.

Bill,
I have the capability to support up to two RV's at my place. My parents are full time RVers and they drop in frequently so I made hookups for them. I could probably run a third hookup from the shop. If you are budget minded you could save the camp fees and stay at my place.Current Agricenter rates are $27 daily or $160 weekly.This means you could save that money to buy tongs, hammers, beer, BBQ. You would be more than welcome. That applies to anyone else thinking of traveling to Memphis for the conference or otherwise. I have lots of room to "dry camp" as well as space for tents and so on.

bigjohn,

That is a generous offer. If I can arrange things in time I well may take you up on it, that is if someone here doesn't beat me to it :). Either way I would certainly like to meet you.

The more I hang around this forum the more I find what a truly great and generous bunch of folks there are here. I don't see many of those in my line of work. Thanks.

Bill

Thank you for your kind words. The longer I hang around this planet the more I realize the ridiculous amount of wealth I have. I don't mean money or assets. The real wealth is sharing in other people and their lives. I love to hang around and talk to people.....one of the reasons I'm late finishing jobs sometimes. I will look forward to sitting around a bonfire... probably a small one, if you've been in the South in July you'll understand why. Hot doesn't begin to describe the experience. In addition to outdoor camping facilities we also have a couch and bed for use during the conference. You may have to wrestle with one of our Irish Setters to get it, unless you really like dogs they don't share well.