I Forge Iron

Punching/Drifting Lubricants

Okay... I know you guys who use coal forges generally use coal dust for punching lube. What else works? I've heard beeswax, Nevr-Seize, grease (?), graphite dust... I was wondering if sawdust worked, since that seems kinda conceptually similar to coal (carbon + volatiles, right?), but is there anything that I'm leaving out?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When we moved from town to the farm (40 years ago :? ) there was a 3 gallon bucket of Havolin (sp) axle grease half full sitting in the corner. I'm still using outa that for other stuff too but it's all I use for my drifts and punches. Boat trailers and vehicles get their own grease!

Bruce, before the board crash, you had asked a similar question... an alternative to tar. Did you have any luck? I just bought some neverseize... or something like that... I'll have to go look at the can... at a tailgate to try out. I realize you're usually working bigger punching than most of us.

Been too busy in construction to forge lately. I got a local co-op opening in two weeks and no inventory!

Two weekends ago we had Bob Patrick demonstrating at our annual conference and Tom Clark ws also there providing the air hammer for Bob. Bob was having trouble punching a hole and mentioned he likes to use anti-sieze from the auto parts store. For the second hole Tom says, " here, use some of my lubricant on your punch." Bob dips his punch in the stuff, lines up on the steel and bang, bottoms out his punch on the anvil with a single hit. "See Bob," says Tom, "'thats "ye olde slippery slick stuff '."

I usually use high temperature anti-seize when punching, though it tends to be a little messy and will burn if the punch is too hot.

"Ye olde slippery slick stuff" is three parts graphite powder, one part molybdenum disulfide powder, a surfactant and water. I've used it and yeah, it's about the best I've found to date.

Dave, sounds like great stuff but to be honest I have know idea what a couple of the ingrediants are. Any ideas where to find "one part molybdenum disulfide powder, (and) a surfactant" and in what form. Are they used in common household things or do we have to get them from a chemical supply company? Thanks.

Well, let's see, one surfactant is soap, especially a liquid dishwashing soap. Powdered graphite can usually be found in hardware stores in a tube being sold as a lock lubricant. But moly disufide, that's more difficult to come by. And expensive. Soooooooooo......

I usually make my own lubricant starting with powdered graphite, add some liquid dish soap to make a paste and then add a little water till you get a black liquid. Dip a chisel in and when you withdraw it, it should have a thin coating of graphite and soap on it.

And remember, dipping when your oil-quench tool is red hot is is too late and not recommended.

Woodtick: Nobody answered your question about charcoal dust directly, so I guess you'll just have to try it and get back to us. :D Actually, I'm sure the charcoal dust will do some good. I presume you are referring to actual good charcoal, not the barbecue briquet dust, but either one will probably work. The lubricant is actually what's left after the coal dust burns away. Unless the charcoal dust is 100% pure carbon, there ought to be some benefit.

Yep, pretty much. Tom used bring Yuri Hoffi over to teach in his school till there was a falling out. Tom still has some of Yuri's students like Tsur Saddan come over and teach at his school or help with demos. Big Blu and B3 Design now are the ones who get Yuri over here to teach. I think Tom might sell the same stuff, but I am not sure. I know he uses it:-)

• 1 month later...

I use either ground up green coal...green because its the escaping gases from the burning coal that causes the release (old coffee grinder works great) or Felpro Moly Dry lube mold release, available from McMaster Carr for $8 a can. Its a spray that dries leaving a heat resistant film. Its great for drifting.

Coal dust as a punch lube.
Yes the fine powder found at teh bottomof the bucket is coal dust.

I usually do not need a lube but if I do I usually hammer a small piece of green coal and use that. If I have a can of grease that is almost gone I will keep it handy so I can dip the punch.

Ed,

Yes, its flammable, but you put it on the tool cold. Its usually good for 3 or 4 trips thru the stock before it needs another shot. It doesent take much. I usually save it for larger holes 1" and up. The small stuff I just wail away on.

The best tool for drifting is a proper sized backing plate.... makes life a lot easier, and the hole a lot nicer.

This may be obvious but, dipping the punch in water before dipping it in the ground up coal keeps the powder on the punch. I only say this because Ive seen people actually try to sprinkle the stuff on the hot stock.

• 2 years later...