I Forge Iron

are we case hardening?

ok sorry but this is gonna take an explanation before i can get to my question. since case hardening is essentially getting steel hot and putting it in carbon causing the steel to "soak up" the carbon... when we put steel into a fire aren't we doing the same thing when we heat steel in a coal or charcoal fire? so wouldn't that make any steel you put in the forge actually a higher carbon content?

Yes it does soak up carbon from the fire provided it's a reducing fire.

No you aren't working with higher carbon steel because in the short time the steel is in the fire the carbon doesn't have enough time to get much farther than the second molecule and the scale formed when you withdraw the steel from the fire eliminates far more than that.

Frosty

Carbon migration is proportional to temperature. Keep a bar at welding heat in a reducing fire and it will carburise quicker than at red heat. However as Frosty said it's still a slow process and the carburised layer is usually scaled off faster than it's built up. It is theoretically possible to add a useful carburised layer in the forge and it has been discussed with regards to Roman smiths with their enclosed forges.

Blister steel used to be produced by laying bars of Norway (wrought) iron in hermetically sealed cases of powdered charcoal and kept at a red heat for a week, and when it came out it still needed to be folded and welded to homogeonise the carbon content.