I Forge Iron

my sons first full day in the forge with me.

Just thought i would share these pictures of my sons first full day in the forge. He is on his summer holidays at the moment and has wanted to come into the workshop for ages now. It was a very proud day and we both thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Days like these are very precious!

16512.attach

16513.attach

16514.attach

16515.attach

The anvil he has was given to me by a friend who, when clearing his barge, found the anvil being used as balast!
Kai loves the fact that he has his very own anvil and hammer. His teachers at nursery cannot beleive that he works with hot metal. In theses days of health and safety gone crazy its a wonder kids are allowed to to anything at all!!.

Edited by AdrianWood

My Dad was my smithing partner, and we had some fun times learning together. When my Dad was in the Air Force he made a pattern for a small bench anvil, and had it cast. When I was a little guy I would get the anvil off of Dad's workbench, and set it on the hearth of the fireplace. I would drag hot nails out of the fireplace, and hammer them flat, so you could say that I got hooked early. I am glad that my folks allowed me to "play" like that. It is sad that some kids never get a chance to try things like this