I Forge Iron

my new anvil

What a great wife you have! Congrats on the anniversary.

With all the chain on it, looks like a ringer huh.

try a tapered pin in the pritchell hole kinda snug fit. I read that tip on the old Keenjunk and it works.
The top of my pin jlike the heqad of a rivet.

Great brand Hay-Budden, made in Brooklyn NY. It is a forged anvil and looks like it has plenty of face left.

For oversized hardy holes: find a piece of square tubing that fits in the hardy hole and slit it down the corners with a hacksaw for about 3/4" and then fold the tabs formed out to 90 deg forming a hole size adaptor---you can repeat this if the size differential is very large. My 1.5" hardy holes sometimes have 3 of them "nested" to use tooling from smaller anvils.

A variation of this is to just use (one or more) pieces of angle iron with the corner slit and tabs folded over. I prefer the tube as you can get a nice flat surface for the tooling to rest on.

Yeah she is a ringer. I put that chain on it to keep my neighbors happy. They haven't complained yet, but i want to keep them from complaining. I'm not sure of the year, i can only find marks that say hay budden, brooklyn,ny, and 148. Thanks for the pritchel trick suggestion.

The hardy hole seems to be 1 inch but down in the "sleeve" it seems to have some bubbled out grooves, not truly square inside. Is it a no no to file it square? I would like to be able to use standard 1 inch tools. I guess i could just forge a taper on the tool shanks. Anybody have any suggestions?

Yeah she is a ringer. I put that chain on it to keep my neighbors happy. They haven't complained yet, but i want to keep them from complaining. I'm not sure of the year, i can only find marks that say hay budden, brooklyn,ny, and 148. Thanks for the pritchel trick suggestion.

The serial number for Hay Buddens is on the front of the foot below the horn. If you provide the serial number, someone with Anvils In America can reference the serial number to the manufacture year.

The number on the foot under the horn reads A1752. The final number two is kind of murky though, i'm assuming its a two. I did a rubbing with soapstone to try to bring out the numbers, but the forging indentations make it difficult to tell. I'd love to know how old it is though if anyone has a book to date it!

Do what I do on my Trenton. It has a 7/8" hardy hole, and I use 1" square stock for the hardy pins. Just forge a taper and TAP it into the hole, while it's hot, until it's a good tight fit. Then tap it from the bottom to remove it. I mark the shaft so that it always goes in the same way, each time I use the tool. Great looking anvil. :)

When i look at the anvil, about halfway up, i can see what i thought was a repair, it almost looks like a seam all the way around the shaft! Maybe thats where the tool steel was welded to the base? I love this anvil, i got really lucky to get one like this on my first try. I'll post some clearer pictures to show what i'm talking about. Thanks for all the info guys. I feel like a proud papa!