I Forge Iron

My Smithing Setup and Misc.

Ya a roof I would really enjoy! XD It gets hot here in Tennessee and it's rough working out in the sun. Unfortunately I don't have enough money to get any sort of roof, so i'll just have to bear the sun until then. ; P Oh the tortures we go through for our obsession. lol

When I started I had to setup and brakedown and put a way everytime. you can pick up a carport at harbor freight for $199.00 http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92942 they do have a cheeper one but its a good way to start. protecting your investment in equipment is important. Here I built a pole shead. the only thing I bought was wood and nails the rest was stuff friends were getting rid of. check out the video on my web sight Welcome to nokomis Forge - Hand-Crafted Custom Ironwrok even the floor they were removing pavers up at a coumminity the road and the workers dumped 2 dump truck loads at my house $0.00 and they loaded the dumptrucks. you have to go out there and make it happen you would not belive what people through away.

Edited by Francis Cole
sp

Guys down our way are getting the white painters canvas from Lowes or Wally World. A 9'x12' is $18. We take 2"x2" however long you want,put big nails in the ends. Put large grommets in the canvas where you want the legs and tie them down. Soak it down with 20 Mule team and water for fire resistance. They make a neat Civil War period looking shelter. I don't have a picture handy but I think you can get the idea. I've got the stuff to make one if I can get time, I'll take pictures if i do.
Travis

Edited by Covforge
spelling

Not a bad start, looks like you have a nice set up and plenty of room to expand. I also work roofless, in the summer I wait until the shade is in the backyard. You can still fool around a few hours almost everyday. Here in Florida no shade and rain are both problematic. Dropping hot metal caused me to learn a few dance moves, stamping out fires while hoping the neighbors did not see me. That ended when I laid down some concrete. Someday a roof will go up but it has to meet code, be approved in advance and the homeowners association already hates the clanging. Luckily, for me they never dreamed a rookie blacksmith would move in and made no rules against it. Oh well, someone has to drive down the home prices, it might as well involve hot steel. Truth be told no one wants to walk up to the guy with the hammer and ask um to hold down the noise. The lack of a roof limits me to a few hours of forge time and only late in the afternoon. Maybe I will forget the roof and practice not dropping things.

HAHA! I have learned some pretty good dance moves as well swordsmanp! Once set my whole charcoal bin on fire inside the small shed where I keep my tools. WOOO!!! Lot of dancing and choice words then! Anyways, ya lots of room to expand we have a 500+ acre farm ; )