I Forge Iron

220 miles and 3 days away...

After multiple years of wanting and several years of looking.... a 25# LG has been found and purchased!

I now have to practice the art of patience....like a small child waiting for Christmas....

The road trip begins Thursday evening and I should be in possession on Friday morning!

It is going to need a good cleaning and attachment of a motor, but it moves free and easy.

A question for other 25# LG owners...What size motor do you have on your hammer? What is the size of the pully you run on your motor?

More pictures when I get her home.....

16426.attach

Book recommends a 1hp at 1725rmp, 2 1/2" dia. pully at motor. That's what I have on mine and works great. I also mounted my motor above the hammer, this eliminates the need of a gaurd. I will try to remember to post pictures of my mounting this evening...
Good for you on your hammer, you will enjoy it!

Congratulations! Welcome to the world of power. :)

I suggest buying, "The Little Giant Powerhammer" by Richard R. Kern. It'll answer a lot of your questions and if not give you the basic terminology and knowledge to ask the right questions when necessary.

Once you get it in hand E-mail Sid with the serial # and he'll tell you what's known about your hammer.

1HP is what the book calls for. The specs say it should run 375 BPM but that's screaming fast, I like about half that myself. It won't hit as hard but it'll be a LOT more controllable.

Frosty

Got the hammer picked up and dropped at Magpie Iron Mongers...that is my Uncle's smithy.

I have to make a return trip to pick up the hammer. Oh the things a man will do to keep the Domestic Goddess happy!

Looks like it will be a sweet little hammer. The left toggle arm has been brazed. I may just order a new one, but do any of you know if that is an acceptable repair?

16633.attach

• 2 months later...

Update....

Two months later I finally have the hammer home, with some changes.

My Uncle had a 50# LG, but didn't have the power in his shop to run it. That is a longer story about him living off the grid in a treehouse and the whole operation being powered by a GenSet...well maybe it isn't that long of a story!

Anyway, we swapped hammers. I got the 50# and he kept the 25#.

I got the hammer home on Saturday night, unloaded Sunday and by working evenings after the day job, I had the motor mounted and the hammer thumping along officially last night. The babbits are in good shape, but the clutch doesn't like to disengage. The hammer continues to slowly rotate when I let off the foot feed. Is that why so many have placed a brake on the flywheel?

The dies are worn, but a good set to start on, so I won't ruin a good set. When the thumbnail picture thingy on here gets back up and running I will share a few pictures.

Jeremy,

Thanks - do I put oil inside the clutch pulley, so the clutch lining is oily?

Mine has the wooden blocks and yes you do put oil on them...really don't understand that fully:). IIRC the book Frosty mentioned,"The Little Giant Power Hammer by Richard Kern, is about $25.00 +/- and it gives you all the lubrication points. Keri, Sid's daughter, told me if I am running the hammer all day to lubricate ALL the points EVERY hour! AND to lub all point every day BEFORE you start. I mix 50/50 of 30wt nondetergent oil and bar&chain oil, the b/c oil won't sling off as easily therefore lasting longer at the joint.

The 50# can run on a 1.5hp motor, although a 2hp is recommended. Seems your uncle could have managed that, but hey, you came out smelling sweet on the deal! Enjoy.