I Forge Iron

My new press... needs work

junker

The air over hyd. jacks are good as long as it's warm weather, in the cold they tend to take forever and if it's really cold they don't move at all but I see your in FL so you shouldn't have any problems with the cold and in that case I would say go ahead with the air power.

welder19

ok so i have to make some pretty good dies for it... because my dad has layed partial claim to it for his machine shop... so i need to make dies for smithing and for things like driving bearings :P any advice on die making?

Junker, get rid of the bent ram Weld a 4" dia 4" long bar in its place. Bore a 1" hole 2" deep. Cross drill and tap a 1/2" hole. Make your tooling with a 1" shank lock it in with the 1/2" bolt. Works great. Mine has a 20 ton air over jack. Unless you like to pump the
handle about 100 strokes per inch go with the air.
Ken

Ok so both the top and bottom rack are going to be re-made, stronger... the bottom rack is bent and the top rack has that bent bar... plus the whole top rack is flimsy, in my opinion... I'm gonna make a new one with square instead of C channel... and that way I can attach the dies the way I was thinkin which simpler than messing with rods :) just 2 pieces of angle welded so that they make a channel to slide dies into... but thanks 4 the advice.

So I finished the top and bottom racks... the bottom rack is now twice the size and really strong... drove my dad's big diesel truck over it to test :P... and instead of using square tube on the top rack like I was planning, I used a section of I-beam... much stronger... overall I'm happy with them... just gotta get ahold of a jack and it'll be done... I'll post before and after pics as soon as I get the jack.