I Forge Iron

As a beginner smith here on the forum I can tell you from experience that I have not found anyone yet in the blacksmithing community here that is an elitist. Everyone is kind, generous, supportive, and caring. I think its because blacksmiths beat out all their anger and ego on the anvil so have none of it left over when dealing with people. ; ) Yup blacksmiths are some of the most laid back nicest people I have met.

rosco - spot on what you said - in my oppinion its fine to behave like you described when teaching someone something- its often part of the learning process.

What makes me sad and what i hope i never do (when ive learnt anything someone other than children want to know!:)) is crush anybodys enthusiasm. Somebody might be stupid, naive, careless, lazy, undedicated, whatever and sometimes its best that is dealt with, but enthusiasm should always be recognised as the good and precious quality that it is. There are far too many cheerless cynics in this world without adding to it!

For the record i have found ALL you experts lovely and patient and informative, but anyone tired of answering beginners questions should maybe ignore our posts and let someone else take up the task - everyones a winner!:)

Well, Rosco, I can honestly say that I've never done that before (and never will again!). That's exactly how I feel when you say, "...I soon learned that the curtness or bluntness of any response was pretty much proportional to the degree of risk, expense or thoughtlessness of whatever action I was embarking on..." And agree 100% and have the same mindset when you say, "...In the interest of avoiding abrasive summaries of my ability to do things like walk and chew gum, I learned to think and use the information that had been presented rather than come up with a stream of shallow questions or act without careful consideration. Once I had done so, my questions were usually received with the recognition that I was honestly trying to apply myself to assimilating knowledge..." That is how I believe it's supposed to be done.

Professionals are often elitists - it comes with the territory of knowledge and education. Some are willing to share their wisdom and some are not.

I used to work for a guy who always said "no" the first time you asked him for anything. After I got to know him and figured out his game, he finally told me that anyone who wasn't willing to come back and ask a second time probably wasn't that interested in the first place. I have a stubborn nature and he eventually stopped telling me "no" because he knew it was a waste of our collective time. We got along famously after that and I consider him one of my best early mentors in the business world.

My point is that you have to be persistent - even in the face of real or perceived obstacles. I've developed a pretty thick skin over the years and not much fazes me, so I find it best to glean the wheat from the chaff and move on. In addition, the written word is typically also the poorest form of communication and a majority of Internet posters are not English majors who are trained in discrete word selection and nuance. Often a typed phrase or sentence would come across much differently in person or over the phone so hidden meanings are occasionally interpreted where they did not really exist. Of course, such is the nature of life in general and poor communication often starts wars. In the meantime, I'll try to continue learning and sharing knowledge where I am able.

Elitist? HAH! This is just about the most non- elitist group of people I've had the pleasure of comunicating with. I've always found blacksmithing interesting, but it always seemed like some far off daunting thing that I could never in my lifetime achieve, and then I found this forum... without you guys (and occasional gal) I would never have had the gumption to attempt blacksmithing. Sorry to get all soppy on y'all but you guys rock! So I just have to give an honest and heartfelt thankyou to every1 on this forum... thanks to you I've found a craft I love and got to keep all my fingers

- from a lifetime addict :)

Elitest NO I have spent 40+yrs learning what i know. I do resent high schoolers who after 6 mos of shop class jump in with answers. I have delt with teachers/ instructors who have NO real knowledge. They took a class and now are qualified to teach. Firearms
instructors who state remove the clip the weapon is safe. Welding certifierers who never welded. I do believe in training however make sure the teacher knows what they are teaching. I have opened my shop to a dozen new smiths, have offered tools, anvils to newbies at a loss. Most have failed to follow thru. They know who they they are. I will only deal with local newbies. They have at least have a 50 percent rate.
Ken

Professionals are often elitists

I think there is a difference between being "elite" and "elitist". While the dictionary definitions are going to be similar, the difference in the connotation is that of arrogance.

Someone who is "elite" is at the top of their game, someone who is "elitist" may be at the top of their field but they're also at the top of the arrogance scale.

As a whole I've never met a more sharing, teaching, helping group of enthusiasts and professionals. Compare that to professional jewelers/silversmiths who always seem to be paranoid that you'll steal some "secret" technique or design.

Face it :rolleyes:
This place would be dull at times if someone new to I Forge Iron and the blacksmithing craft did not come into the site and say" I am new at blacksmithing, but I want to build a sword that will cut down a redwood tree with one stroke and then be able to cut a two foot thick rock in half".
I have come to the conclusion that for this very important reason (and many more) I Forge Iron needs to exist.
And that is to help redirect people with that kind of thinking into a technically correct and safe direction to reach their goals.
Time has taught us that new peoples questions sound just like "New People Questions". Gee I am shocked :o
A lot of them are from a very standard mode of new thinking.
Because I Forge Iron has grown larger and so quickly, that we have had a huge learning curve to adjust too.
I believe a part of that adjustment is to learn to accept that un-skilled people will ask the same type of questions over and over again and they do that by just by using their imaginations, dreams and hope that transcends reality many times.

And, I believe this thinking pattern is something that will always be with us as long at there is "Dungeons and Dragons" and