I Forge Iron

I don't know, Frosty, maybe when I can get someone to take some pictures.

I'd think you could talk Karen into it or maybe Ed.

I've found that action shots aren't as illustrative as a posed pic or better yet a good sketch. Simply placing the piece on the anvil with the hammer resting on it in position is far easier and more informative than spending a whole afternoon trying to get the moment of contact in an action shot. The photographer doesn't need to be a pro, just in focus and framed.

If I lived closer I'd vounteer to take pics in a heartbeat.

A collaberation would work too, you are very good at describing what and how you do things and that's pretty of rare. Perhaps not among the regular posters on fora and E-mail lists but you're still near the top of the curve for your descriptive ability even amongst the talkative crowd.

Frosty

thanks brian that hammer is beautiful- am always amazed by some of the stuff you lot make! bet JK loves it - it will be put to good use in his hands i would have thought....:) Frosty do you think we start a campaign for this book? I agree you have a great clear way with words Brian, its got to be wortha thought. I would be on the waiting list for one. I love the photos that you are putting on with your posts, for me they are just right. I suppose for a book you would want to ask lots of opinions on photo/illustration styles to see what was most clear for most people. I would offer help too but i doubt i would be of much, except being a reader guinea pig???

Well Beth if Brian doesn't write a book I'll just continue to copy his posts, pics and all just like I am now. ;) A lot of other folk will be missing out though.

I've never written a book but know a number of folk who have and it's a major undertaking, just ask Mike Porter some time.

Frosty

Yeah, Frosty, I talked to Mark Aspery about what it took to write his books. It took alot of time and effort on his part, but once he was done it was well worth it.
This year is the first time I have taken the time to document some of my work. The economy and my location have alot to do with that. I used to be too busy making things for others. Now, nobody is coming by wanting anything. I'm just glad I got hooked up with I Forge Iron. I like going out to the shop and taking pictures of something others may be interested in.
Karen and I are getting ready to take off across the country with our old Dodge van and my traveling station. We have to be at Yesteryear School of Blacksmithing in Virginia in November, so we're goining to work our way there. We'll leave in September, head out I-40, stop where someone will have us, work, hold clinics or workshops, do demonstrations, whatever, and document it all the way. Eloy Rodarte, called me a "Gypsie with a hammer".

"Gypsie With A Hammer" Now THAT is a book title!!
Combo of story telling, How to, pics of work and people and places That would be a sure fire book that would reach beyond the blacksmithing community. "Non-fiction best seller, could be. " Especialy since Karen seems to have a talent at communication and interest as well.

I agree Charlotte, it'd be a great title. Making it more than just another blacksmithing how to would be a BIG pluss. No matter how good, there are already a lot of how too books so having something fresh and tasty to bring to the party would be excellent.

Brian:

Something I used to do was tape action with my video camera and do a screen capture for individual pics. I don't know how well it'd work with modern digital cameras but I'm sure it's doable and the quality would have to be better.

Doing a cross country journal will have numerous advantages:

First is all the different shops you'll be demoing in along with your traveling kit. It's good to see different set ups and how one person adapts as well as how others use them.

Next would be the different demo subjects, I imagine different clubs want to see different things in all skill levels.

Next is the necessity for explaining things in different ways to different people. If you document the dialogue at each demo you'll be able cherry pick the best for the book. Part of the dialogue are the questions, cherry picking for the best is called for too. Heck, you and Karen discussing the last demo or the next one while you're on the road could be very informative.

Then of course there's the scenery, good scenery is always. . . Good.

The more I think about it the more it sounds like it could be how to for demonstrators as well as people looking for info, inspiration and ideas. Heck, a section on how to get the most from someone else's demo would be extremely handy for the student.

An alternate title I've always liked were I to write a smithing book is, "Have Hammer (or Forge) Will Travel."

Frosty

that would be a great idea, it sure would be on my x-mas list. i just want to add something on a personal note if i may. I'm a pretty heart felt guy and when i see things of beauty it being art or even well placed words of truth i cant help but get a little teary eyed (truth have it i do when i hear you and karen talk about what you do) , i know you don't know me and my words may be of little consequence but you Brian and the things you have done have made me want to strive to be better at what i do and to try and get to where i want to be. it may be a long road we tread ,we that have no guidance but you make the destination a little clearer along with all the others that add what they know here. anyway i ramble. i really just want to say thx and i hope we all get where we are going

p.s. good luck on the road!:)

If you swing through Indiana I am sure we could find a place or two for you to demo, feed yah and provide crash space. We really enjoyed the demos you did with Tom Clark at the IBA conferences you hit several years ago. Just try to time things so you can hit SOFA and the forging contest, (Which I will sadly miss again this year :-( Building the new house and shop and getting all the animals settled takes priority, I'm not sure why, couldn't we just throw up a garage kit to live in, and then build a big shop with my overhead crane rails and a couple good sized hammers??? I know where there is going to be a steam hammer go for probably next to nothin next weekend... ??? ;-) Sad but true:-)

Ahhh man those are awesome!!! I wish I lived near you and could come watch you make them! I'm not good enough to make anything like that yet though. XD I tend to stick to bigger stuff right now.

I don't make too many rings usually. I made 10 out of pure silver before Valentines Day last year and 12 out of steal this month. That is all I've ever made. I usually make bigger stuff, also. The technique can be used for many different things though; I use it alot when I'm doing cabnet and drawer pulls, for example.
The 2-sided taper on the near and far side is one of the most useful techniques we have availiable to us. Try it; practice it; use it.

Olcarguy, I don't worry too much about the finish with steel rings. They will rust when they get wet. I usually make jewelry out of pure silver. I usually don't make jewelry unless someone asks me to, and then I will explain to them how the environment reacts with the different metals. You just gave me an idea; I'm going to make some out of titanium today.

Here's a titanium ring. Titanium moves nicely but not for long. It reminds me of stainless because of the narrow range you have to forge, too many heats. I think that will be my last titanium ring. It doesn't photogragh as well as other metals; it's dull and has that yellow powdery oxide. I didn't get it to roll up a scroll when I twisted it off, either.

16050.attach

16051.attach

16052.attach

16053.attach

16054.attach

16055.attach