I Forge Iron

I have joined hoping to get some help. I have just started Blacksmithing and bladesmithing. I have an unusual cercomstance, I am parilized from the chest down. all my tools (Anvils,vice,& forge are 15" off the floor. I will try to explane, try to Picture a man in a wheelchair or one of you sitting in a chair bent at the waist. My forge is high enough for me to sit upright and see in.when I pull the workpiece out of the forge I bend over and start pounding on a piece of steel, I'm sure it's a funny sight. I was a weilder / metal worker before I got injured. I went to a knifemaking event about six months ago and got hooked. I have made a couple Blades and am having a great time doing it but not sure if I am doing it the best way. I am also making my own forge and am forge weilding with not much luck.

cablemonkey,welcome to Iforgiron!

Glad to hear that in spite of your accident you are still working with metal.

There are lots of friendly folks here to help if you have questions.
All you have to do is ask.

Incidentally, we started a thread a couple years ago to discuss ways of working if one were limited to a wheelchair.
Here's a link:

http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/f11/blacksmith-limited-wheel-chair-2758/

Since you have practical experience with how 'working from a wheelchair' works.....your experience can be invaluable to others.

Welcome aboard.........and ...........ENJOY!

James Flannery

Hey ! you are an insiration.. I'm a beginning blacksmith here too, and I have enough trouble blacksmithing with everything functioning ... well except my eyes are what the used to be.... I'm a welder / fabricator as well ( not profesionally though) and I have several forge projects in the works. tell us more about your projects. Welcome aboard ! sam at Oak Hill Forge

Welcome aboard Cablemonkey, glad to have you.

The subject of forging from a wheel chair has come up a few times in other fora as well. I'll tickle their memories and see if any of the ideas discussed were tried and how they worked if so.

My thoughts were forging from a chair was going to be supremely individual, more so than blacksmithing in general.

From what I recall, (always a shaky proposition, let alone about discussions that took place a couple years ago) some folk found it easier to work over the side of their chair, some needed the anvil and other tools in stands that held them over their laps, often at an angle and only a few were able to work out in front.

I think I'd try refining what you're already doing and only try new set ups on speculation. Things to pay attention to would be unusual muscle pain in your arms, shoulders and neck. I'm sure you're much better muscled than average and probably more in tune with unusual pains so probably able to judge if something is just a muscle ache or something potentially serious.

The important things about hammering is finding a position that allows you to swing comfortably without fully extending joints, especially the elbow while the hammer face strikes parallel to the anvil face.

Other tools and equipment needs to be at a comfortable working height as well but few will injure you as fast as an out of position anvil.

If you'll click "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your location it can make a big difference. IFI is represented by members from more than 50 countries and a lot of info is location specific. Also if local folk know you're around they can invite you to gatherings, tip you to tool deals and offer hands on help.

Frosty

I don't begin to understand all you are going through, but can commisserate a little I lost my right leg a few years ago and although I use a prosthetic it is difficult doing some things. Thanks for being an inspiration to us all.

Talk with your rehab folks to make sure you are not causing different problems down the line; you sure don't want to lose *anything* you have left.

One of the old SOFA guys built a minature powerhammer that sat in the hardy hole and used the anvil as its anvil. Only about 5# ram as I recall but it sure would help bladesmithing! A lot of us start to think about powerhammers as we age...

Welcome to the mad house, cablemonkey. Since you are into knife making, you might want to consider a post anvil. I just finished making one and for a knife maker it's really great. That's the first thing that came to my mind when thinking about forging from a wheelchair.
Here's a pic.

15578.attach

Cablemonkey,
You are an inspiration to everyone. I'm sure that the experienced smiths will have plenty to offer here but your experiences, attitude and progress will also teach everyone plenty.
I can't completely comprehend what it is like but I was in a wheel chair for a month after my stroke and my right side was paralyzed. It's amazing how we can learn to make due with what we have. The fact that you are doing what you are doing tells me that you are a strong individual and will accomplish whatever you set out to do. Keep at it and good luck. I hope to hear more of your experiences in the shop.

thanks for the link, I have checked it out and plan to put my 2cents worth in. Right now I am using a one foot piece of railroad track as an Anvil mounted in a big vice to get it off the floor. I would really like to mount it on something but not sure what to mount it on. Whatever I mount it to it needs to be about 12" off the ground so when I mount the Anvil to it The thing will be at the right hight. On rollers would be great to,That makes it easer for me to work I can roll thing out of the way when i'm not using them it keeps the floor clean. Everything I use that will not fit on my woorkbench goes on rollers. IE Vice, Anvil, Forge, Mig and Tig weilders All my tongs and hammers are on a seperate rolling dollie and when I am not using them Ihave a place along the wall where I can get them out of the way.
With me leaning over is the only option I am parilized from mid-chest down. When I reach my arms out front of me I fall over. Plus it keeps me from getting a lap full hot metal. your stand up idea was great, They have wheelchairs that stand up. The only problem with that is that they are about 15 to 20 thousand dollars and I would hate to get it into my shop and burn a hole in the seat or a spark on an battery or electric line.When I get the shop The way I like it I will take a couple pictures and let yall see what works for me. I think everyone is a diffrent cercomstance but alot of what I have done can be applied to other situations.

nc_cooter
That Anvil is great, and a job well done. I need it to be about 18" at the top of the Anvil so I can bend and get to get good direct hits on the top of the Anvil. about how much does one of them cost? my 12 year old forges with me and That would be great for him.