I Forge Iron

Working Short Pieces of Tool Steel

woodtick

A buddy of mine who works in a welding/machine shop gave me 2 small pcs of tool steel like the one in the picture that I want to use to make some kitchen knives.

ToolSteel.jpg

My problem is how to handle these small pieces before they're drawed to a workable length that can be handled with tongs.
The easy solution that I could come up with was getting some flat bar or rod welded to them for handles.
But what about annealing, if I get the handles welded on after it is annealed will the electic welding ruin the annealling process,
or if I get them welded on before will the heat from annealing weaken the welded joints?

Anybody have any ideas to throw at me!

297.attach

Seems to me he's talking about the state of the material *now* when he says it's annealed. I know the specs for 4140, for example, strongly recommend doing any electric welding in the annealed state. If it is 4140, by the way, not an ideal knife material. Or, if he is talking about annealing after welding, no, annealing or normalizing won't hurt the weld.

If it was me, I'd do just what the others suggested and weld on a piece to handle the stuff until I could forge it out into a bar.

Steve

I'd just grab it with a pair of tongs that will hold it on the sides and use reign clips to get a good grip and forge it down. I don't see the problem with using tongs---could you explain?

Now if you want fun try forging down lare ball bearings...

Thomas

The steel is not annealed yet.

The guy that gave me the pieces picked them up as leftovers from a job. He didn't have the paperwork to know the ##### of the steel, he just said that "it was a tool steel and it was hard enough that it could not be machined without annealling." (his exact words).
They are painted lime green on the ends, but I guess that don't mean too much since different companies have their own system of marking.
If it's any good for making knives, I have no idea!

The pieces are 2 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 1

Hi woodtick. annealed or not an arc welder or forge wont care. As Chris Pook said heat to dull red and weld a porter bar on. By the way try to make sure that the material is nice and flat on the anvil when you hit it or the leverage created will tear your weld apart pretty quick no matter how good it was. If you have access to a grinder of some kind you might consider spark testing your material before wasting a lot of time forging down a block that size by hand. Also don't forget to leave yourself enough extra material to do some quench testing before trying to heat treat a blade of mystery steel.

Hope this helps
John

Yes, do what lefthand said, heat and weld a bar to the end for a handle and keep flat while forging. When you get the material to a workable size, cut off handle and fully grind the weld off. Don't forget to save some for a quench test. Like Rich said "Just remember what JOHN said".