I Forge Iron

vice repairs

sfDuck

This is one of my get a round tuit jobs. I've had theses two vises around for more than a year and they are now being repaired. The hardest job was making a mounting bracket for the larger vice. I started with 1 1/2 sq. stock 7 in. long. Cut an almost square tenon in one end with a zip cut blade on my grinder. Then carefully cleaned things up. (its hidden anyways) NOT NOW! ....dough! Cut a long sq. hole. Then the two man job. pounding flat on flat forever. Thats as far as I got so far. I'm hoping to do a little shaping next. Fullering down the ramp and squeezing it out on both sides into something like two leaves with a point between them. I have a top fuller that should do the job, we'll see. I use the bracket from the small vice as a pattern. Check the pictures. Don't touch that dial! stay tuned for for the next beating........Duck

273.attach

274.attach

275.attach

276.attach

277.attach

How would you go about fixing this? I am talking about the gap between the jaws in the first picture. So far, I have had two suggestions. First. Grind the jaws down until they meet. Second. Take the vise apart and heat the side of the vise that moves, right above the pivot point on the end of the piece. The second picture shows the spot. Then, put everything back together quickly, while it is hot, and tighten the vise down. Theoretically this will bend the arm where it is hot and bring everything back into alignment. I suspect however, that both jaws are tilted outwards at the top, as though something was clamped, only on the top of the jaws, and tightly enough to bend them. What do you think? The only other issue I have is that when I built the stand for the vise it changed where the spring was mounted and I have been having a hen-of-a-time getting the spring to work the way it should.

299.attach

300.attach

301.attach

What if you cut a block that fits just above the screw, so that when tightened against, the jaws are suspended with something like a 1/4 inch gap. Then heat the neck of the jaws with an oxy/fuel rosebud and hammer them untill they meet. It sort of looks like the jaws are sprung back, it might make sense to re-set them forward.

It looks like you have a couple of problems going on. The problem with your spring is that it is in backwards. Take a look at these pics and you will see how it should be. There are more pictures of how I did this on my web site on the projects page down near the bottom.

As for the jaws, it really looks like both jaws have been bent back. I can't even imagin how much force that would have taken, but judging from the bent handle, someone put a big cheater on there and then proceeded to ruin the vice using it as a press most likely.

I think I would try to grind both sides to where they meet vertically rather than trying to heat it up. If you try to reassemble the vice while part of it is red hot the only thing you will ackomplish is burning yourself and losing all your heat before you are ready for it in my opinion.

good luck

FredlyFX
http://fredlyfx.com

302.attach

303.attach

First, what irnsrgn said: these vises usually bend at the stress concentrators, the slit/drifted holes for the screw. To fix it, disassemble the vise completely, then heat the eye and forge it flat again on an anvil or flat plate. This is a wrought iron vise, so you have to get it to very near a welding heat (white) to forge it safely. Too low a heat and it will separate the wrought. Most of these post vises that I've seen, from the hinge area to the top of the screw holes should describe a straight line. YMMV

Second, what Fred said: your spring is in backwards. If you moved the bracket a lot, you may have to modify the spring curve a very little bit to get a good fit/operation, but only a little. This you can do cold, as these usually aren't high-carbon steel. Nor do they need to be.

Don't grind the jaw faces to get them parallel; they usually only have a 3/8" thick hard face on them and you don't want to gobble up any of that if you can avoid it, which you can.

HI, I agree with Swamp Fox more or less. Instead of spending a bunch of time trying to fix the jaws, I would fabricate myself several sets of jaw covers. say one parallel steel set, one bronze set so you don't marr delicate work,and a couple with different sized holes in both round and square.

Hope this helps
John

Hello Bob-- On your vice repairs. Take that sucker to a monthly meeting of your peers. All of you look it over and chunk it in a good coal forge, heat her up till you think it is ready to weld and heavy hammer the jaws to match what you drew on a work table. Take the cold beer with you and celebrate when it is back where you want it.GRIN.

have a gooden

chuck