I Forge Iron

Welding mild to cast steel/iron

Hey all

I just recently picked up this old wrench at the local used tool store and was so happy to find it in such good shape (after having sifted through a whole box of them) I didn't pay enough attention to the fact that it is cast steel/iron. I want to turn this into a twisting wrench, and would like to weld a handle onto the opposite end. Would I be better off getting another wrench, or would welding to this wrench be done without too much hassle/ruining the wrench?

What welding process would be best? Stick, MIG, Flux Core?

Thanks for any help/suggestions

Iain

15331.attach

15332.attach

Edited by mod07

It's funny what the unpracticed eye sees sometimes. Sometimes the practiced eye. I have a couple hammers that look cast if you didn't know better.

I used to have a real smooth cast too but I don't fish much anymore. ;)

Frosty

What? You think I was casting about for stupid comments? I never cast my eyes on such drivel. That's what you get when you cast the dice, I guess.:P

OBTW: On something that has not been ground after, you should be able to tell the difference.

Edited by nakedanvil

I have one of these wrenches as well made by Pexto. A rare find on ebay. The top tine of the wrench has a flat round surface on the back of it. It is intended for use as a hammer. I believe these were produced to work on train engines and other heavy duty applications. You'll love the wrench they are extremely hardy. I never welded a handle for twisting on mine. Just couldn't see myself ruining such a nice wrench. I bought a little cheap wrench for doing twisting.