I Forge Iron

anvil price

What do you folks think about this anvil at the listed price? (In case the ad goes down soon, it's a 100 pound Vulcan with some dings on part of the face, and one edge that looks a little banged up. But the other edge looks reasonably good, and at least part of the face seems fairly clear.) It's not for me; I have a buddy who's currently working on a chunk of rail that I gave him. He's mostly interested in bladesmithing, so he doesn't necessarily need a monster anvil.

100 lb. Vulcan blacksmith/farrier anvil

I realize prices vary by region. All I can say about that is that I haven't seen that many old anvils for sale around here, but then I don't necessarily look in all the right places.

Is it better than a chunk of rail? Maybe maybe not. Personally I think $2.75 a pound is a bit steep for a Vulcan. If he is mostly interested in bladesmithing I think he would be better served by a good flat piece of tool steel then a dinged up Vulcan.

Maybe some other bladesmiths will chime in.

The price is not crazy, but you can get a much better price if you wait and look.

And the nice thing about buying tools at the cost below ebay, or whatever YOU can resell them for, is that you can change/upgrade/swap your tools without incurring an expense. Say, you buy an anvil for $100, use for 2 years, then you come across a better one and then you can sell your original for $150. No regrets and hard feelings, no money wasted.

Glen posted $225 for a 100#. I will use this as an example of rental fees, if I use that for only 2 years that is less than $10 a month to rent an anvil. Isn't that a good deal ?

Add in the fact that I get to keep it after those 2 years. Also add in that I can sell it later to recover some or even all of that rental fee, maybe even make more than my initial payment. I can use that cash as a down payment on a larger anvil later, or kep it as a spare, all for less than $10 a month.

WAY overpriced! That would be a good price for a top tier anvil not a bottom tier anvil!

Vulcan's have thin faces and dent easily and knifemakers generally need as smooth a face as possible. Not a good combination!

I'd go with a chunk of steel over that---even A36 he could at least clean up the face on a regular basis with no problem!

Have you checked with the local smithing group? They may have a good brand anvil at that price you could get.

E-Bay is not a good place to buy anvils IMNSHO. When I lived in Ohio I averaged 1 name brand anvil in great shape a year for less than US#1 a pound
and NO shipping fees!

Thanks, Thomas. I'm part of the local smithing group, actually. But my buddy didn't ask me to find him an anvil; I just ran across that one and thought I might mention it to him.

I grew up in the Midwest (Indiana), but I hadn't developed much interest in smithing by the time I moved off to college and then beyond. I suspect I missed a lot of smithing-related opportunities.