I Forge Iron

new blacksmith shed

Well I am getting serious now! I have finally leveled ground and set some timbers for the new shed. 10' wide and 12' deep permanent home for the forge. Plan is recycled corrugated for the roof to go with the recycled timber frame. looking for some siding and deciding on windows for ventilation, front will be double barn doors. Should have the remaining bracing in tonight and the roofing on tonight or tomorrow night then I'm moving in. Side draft for the forge is next then we will be burning coal for real.
Chris

15286.attach

Well drainage is a issue, the gravel in side that will be the shed's floor was there from the red steel shop's construction. Erosion over the last couple decades has deposited alot of dirt so the next plan is to set grade as best I can next to the blacksmith shed and along the back of the shed and big shop, but hey priorities right I need to set up and pound on some iron.

Floor plan is up in the air a bit but I am thinking the forge centered in the back bench/leg vise to the right and post drill on the left wall toward the front.
Chris

Great to hear you will be pounding soon, my wife loves the fact that I prefer to be in my forge than anywhere else, that way she can call on me anytime to help her with some task or another....although I do think she is cottoning on to the fact that when she ask me to do something my usual reply is "it will have to wait I got iron in the fire....cheers all the best Bully

It aught to be a nice cozy place to work come winter. 10' x 12' is a good size for hand work, smaller smithies kept towns functioning and families fed for hundreds of years.

Looking good.

Frosty