I Forge Iron

Start with the 4 or 5th great grandson of Adam, a fellow named Tubal-Cain, an instructor of every craftsman in bronze and iron. Thomas Powers has not been working metal quite that long (grin) but is another good source of historical information. There are some photos with dates in the IForgeIron gallery under Andrew's folder UK 2008 folder 1.

Why does it have to be internet sources?

The classic book Wrought Iron has a lot of history in it. And so does The Art of Blacksmithing. I do not know if the are on-line anywhere.

You might also check to see if the Early American Industries organization has gotten their quarterly newsletter back issues on-line yet. Their articles have lots of early history in them.

And see about finding the Saugus Iron Works national park site. They were one of the first big iron smelting sites in the early Colonies.

Mikey

Why does it have to be internet sources?

The classic book Wrought Iron has a lot of history in it. And so does The Art of Blacksmithing. I do not know if the are on-line anywhere.

You might also check to see if the Early American Industries organization has gotten their quarterly newsletter back issues on-line yet. Their articles have lots of early history in them.

And see about finding the Saugus Iron Works national park site. They were one of the first big iron smelting sites in the early Colonies.

It is because there arent many black smithing books at my local library. i have the only one they have "the art of blacksmithing" but thats the only one and i need more about bronze and other metals

Why not ILL books at your local library? I can Inter Library Loan expensive and hard to find books at my small town New Mexico public library that has *squat* on blacksmithing.

Shoot I was able to get "The Metallography of Early Ferrous Edge Tools and Edged Weapons" through ILL and I havn't been able to *buy* a copy---had it as a standing book search on Amazon for 3 years!

As an internet source you might look up the website for Darrell (you can dig out his homepage from here)
Hammered Out Bits: L'Anse aux Meadows Smelt - Working Area

Ancient carburisation of iron to steel: a comment
A Gallery of Early Blacksmithing

Also do a google search on Bloomery and discard everything to do with flowers.

As a student of the history of metalworking technologies I would mark you down harshly if I didn't see mention of Egyptian metalworking (there is a Shire book on egyptian metalworking and tools)

Perhaps mention of iron vs bronze in the Oddessy

Divers Arts written in 1120 A.D. by Theophilus

Pirotechnia by Biringuccio

and of course De Re Metallica --- a great source of pictures for a report on metals!

also "Cathedral Forge and Waterwheel" Gies and Gies, is an easily read book on medieval invention and technology.

Hie thee to a library and ask about ILL! NOW! (if you have waited to the last instant, then you get to do without)

Thoramighty, does it have to be internet soruces? I am curious as to why?

I would also suggest to google "blacksmithing + history"

Also how far back and how broad are you going to go? European history, Mid east, India, Far East (China or Japan) Africa? Are you going to add anything from the New world? Copper and gold work in North and South America?

"It all started here" ignoring the 2000 years or so of ferrous metalworking and tack on another thousand or two of non ferrous metalworking *before* Abraham Darby started smelting iron with coke rather than charcoal... (I've been to Ironbridge Gorge; it was the one place I said I wanted to visit when I was in England!)

I also have a book on Medieval Metal working techniques of India and one on the Agara (sp) a tribe/caste of indian iron workers.

Special mention of course of King Tut's iron dagger---much more interesting than his solid gold one IMNSHO!

Note to be cautious of books written for "political" or "social" reasons. Quite a few books on ancient china have that slant and are verbose on their claims to have invented *everything* much of it not admitting recent hard dated discoveries that predate the chinese examples...

Edited by ThomasPowers

Guest mod07

Wiki is not a considered a primary source, and in most cases not allowed as a serious reference. Find other proof of anything you read there.