I Forge Iron

Forge Hood

I am working away at the new forge. I salvaged and old clothes dryer for the blower fan (got the idea here) and realized there were many things that I could use. The metal I think would make a great hood. I am thinking I make a template with poster paper and transferring it to the metal to be shaped on an oak log with a wooden maul.

Comments Please! I don't want to have to do this twice :o

As your proposing to use a log and maul to form your hood I'm guessing you plan on having curved elements. I'm thinking a cardboard template would be easier to to tape together to check your sizing and dry fit before attacking the drier carcass. Oh and I would also be testing the paint finish on the carcass with forge temperatures to see what kind smoke and fumes it might give off during the first few uses.
Love the recycling idea.

Actually before you make you hood you should think very hard about exactly what you want the hood to do. Eject smoke or protect the forge from the elements?

We have several threads here addressing these issues as well as other design problems and goals.
Some of the most effective designs don't involve large curved sections. What is available to you to use as a chimney. Recent posts suggest 12 in galvanized?

My experience has been hoods are barely effective in the best of conditions. A well made side draft on the other hand will darned near suck the coal out of the forge.

If you have any issues with draft then a side draft using a properly scaled chimney is what you want. You can still put a sheet metal hood above the opening but they're usually unnecessary.

Frosty

I used to have a hvac book that included a section on ventilation hood design.

Bottom line was that nearly all the hoods you see are ineffective by design.
Some of the commercial kitchen hoods only work because they high horse power exaust fans.

IIRC my kitchen stove hood would have to be one foot lower and stick out 2 ft in front of the stove to be true effective. Thats the biggest reason I don't fry fish or liver in my kitchen.

Some comments on the 3 side draft forges I've used: The first one was of metal and of the Blacksmith Journal design. It's side draft opening was approx. 10" wide and I think about 10" high with a round top. The chimney was 8 pipe approx. 34' tall. The 2 problems with it were: the opening was right next to the rectangular fire pot and it was not handy to have coal piled on the chimney side of the fire pot. The other problem was that it didn't draw well and I had to have another fan in the wall to pull out the smoke that found its way into the shop. The 2nd side draft was of brick and designed so the opening to the chimney was as wide as the fire pot (14") but then tapered back to 11" wide before it went up the chimney (the taper was approx 5" deep). It had 12" flue tile 34' tall. It works very well. The 3rd forge was brick with the same opening to the chimney, but the chimney didn't have clay flu tile so the chimney inside dimensions were approx. 12" X 23" and the chimney was 16' tall. It sucked better than the one with the flue tile. I guess the moral to this story is that the bigger the chimney, the better it will draw. I also know a blacksmith that has a forge hood over his forge. The hood is approx. 5' square and is adjustable up and down. If he doesn't want smoke in his shop, he has to lower the hood to the point that it is uncomfortable to use. He doesn't use it much.

I don't like Liver either, but the cooks gota do what the cooks gota do so twice a year this dixie resident has to make fired chicken livers and fresh mushrooms for the assemblen multitude. But not in MY kitchen.

Not usre going to Dixie is on my list of culinary delights :rolleyes:

Just remember to roll a bead on the edge and pad it with a slit hose, etc. so she doesn't loose fingers in a collision on sledding hill.

Of course you could make something cool to sell from the sheet and buy her a snow saucer.

Either way enjoy NOT breathing smoke.

Frosty