I Forge Iron

surviving the iron age tv show?

hammerkid

Anyone ever watch surviving the iron age on the history channel? If so Have you ever found any dvds online you can buy of it ? I`ve looked on the history channel site and searched on google but cant find nuttin. Anyone got any info on it?
Chris

I picked up the companion book to the 2001 BBC show off of evil-bay. I had been looking for the video's - either vhs or dvd, but only found the book. Although, the book does talk about a bunch of the stuff that never made it into the show. Like the modern stuff that got hid away whenever the cameras were rolling. And all the complaints about the poor food, cold/wet feet, lack of "beverages", and how rough/dirty the lifestyle was (at least in their interpretation of it). It sounds like it had too much of that Frontier House or Colonial House mentality to it - that "interesting" paid vacation to put on the resume/vita and acting credits.

I never saw the series on TV. I don't get any cable/dish/satellite. Plus I did not know about that earlier version from the 70's.

You might try Amazon books to see if they have the videos. The isbn for the book I got is 0-563-53402-8.

Mikey

Perhaps a little off-topic but anyone else seen Tales from the Green Valley? Five historians and archaeologists spend a year working a small Welsh hill-farm with James I era tools, practices and garb. It's better than your typical 'throw a bunch of 21st century hot-house plants into a contrived situation resembling a certain period and watch them whinge' show. In a similar vein is the recent series Victorian Farm. Same scenario, three of the same archaeologists, but late 19th century. This is an especially interesting point in history as it's the start of agricultural mechanisation and industrialisation; lots of cast-iron patent drudgery-be-gone gadgets.

• 6 months later...

A fellow Iron Age Celtic re-enactor has contacts with some of the participants that took part in that show. According to them (the participants) the BBC has no plans to release a DVD copy of that broadcast.

Since it is aired regularly on the History Channel (albeit at very odd hours) and given that there is no official edition available, I decided to DVR the program, edit out the commercials, and burn my own copy.

Oh, BTW, a retrospective of the 1978 living history experiment was broadcast on the BBC and can be found on YouTube "Living in the Past"

Edited by Gobae

• 1 month later...

Anyone ever watch surviving the iron age on the history channel? If so Have you ever found any dvds online you can buy of it ? I`ve looked on the history channel site and searched on google but cant find nuttin. Anyone got any info on it?

Chris

My wife and I are friends with Ron and Brenda......the blacksmiths on Surviving the Iron Age. The show was produced by the BBC. If you want a copy of the show you could try getting ahold of the BBC directly (http://www.bbc.co.uk/feedback/). I don't know if it's ever been made available on dvd though. I think we still have it on VHS somewhere as we taped it at the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Surviving the Iron Age | Tuatha de Bhriain
22 May 2009 ... For those that are interested, I'm 80% done compiling and editing the BBC series "surviving the iron age"

The site above is one option, I am sorry the BBC are not likely to put out a dvd now or in the future.

Regards Brenda!!(Rons wife) the blacksmiths from the series

Surviving the Iron Age | Tuatha de Bhriain
22 May 2009 ... For those that are interested, I'm 80% done compiling and editing the BBC series "surviving the iron age"

The site above is one option, I am sorry the BBC are not likely to put out a dvd now or in the future.

Regards Brenda!!(Rons wife) the blacksmiths from the series

Hi Brenda and Ron, Nice to see you on the site, long time no see or hear, but still think of you often, as do a lot of Guild members, looking forward to seeing more from you on here. If you are ever near Westpoint on a forging weekend drop in, Kettles on.

Hi Brenda and Ron, Nice to see you on the site, long time no see or hear, but still think of you often, as do a lot of Guild members, looking forward to seeing more from you on here. If you are ever near Westpoint on a forging weekend drop in, Kettles on.

Hi John kettle on is something we can't resist, hope you are all well!! we miss not seeing you all as often as we use too,

Ron ask who won our Chritmas trophy 2009????

Hi John kettle on is something we can't resist, hope you are all well!! we miss not seeing you all as often as we use too,

Ron ask who won our Chritmas trophy 2009????

Last winner was a guy who was out in Afghanistan on the front line, and he won it for a damascus knife he made on one of the courses before he went out there.

Look forward to catching up with you, make a date and come down for the iForge weekends this year.

• 2 weeks later...