I Forge Iron

I want a robot! Really!

We've all seen those way cool robots on TV, kind of a big mechanical arm bolted to the floor. The surplus market is loaded with them and now GM and Chrysler will probably be surplussing a ton of them. Can you imagine a robot hooked up to a Little Giant? That would be so cool!

I did a project at work about 14 years ago that installed 9 of the "organge" ones. The repeatability of the motions was to less than .5mm over 24 hours of running ! Amazing.... oh and yes they have a joy stick... that's how you "teach" them. We went to the factory where they were built and all.... fun times !

Trust me, I deal with these industrial robots on a daily basis on the production cells that I am responsible for.

Most of the people here would not even come close to a proper application of one of these robots in their shop.

The design intent is to perform simple, repeatable functions very accurately and efficiently. They are not very intuitive, and they do exactly what they are programmed to do. Which is a very big hassle in most cases. (new task = new program). With that said, it's time to go teach a few robots.....again.

The design intent is to perform simple, repeatable functions very accurately and efficiently and they do exactly what they are programmed to do.

So, it opening the fridge door, taking out a beer, popping the top then handing it to me at the anvil at a predetermined time would not be out of the realm of possibilities?

I'm thinkin' I just found my new quitting-time whistle!

We took the young'un to Legoland in South Cal last winter. The park on the whole was a large yawn for me, but they did have a ride that placed 2 folks in a cage on the end of a big robot arm, and did a routine of trying to get my corn dog and chips to leave unexpectedly. I bet they could fling pumpkins a long way.

Back in the early 80's, my father was present when Mack Truck put in their first painting robots. Apparently it was programmed by moving it's spray gun in the necessary pattern as the engine blocks came by. Anyway, the "trainer" managed to dislodge the spray gun in the process and it fell to the floor. Thinking nothing of it at the time, he reattached the gun and finished his routine. When the robot was activated, it reached the point in it's program where the spray gun was dropped. Being a very literal machine, it also "dropped" the spray gun. Imagine a large robot arm attempting to replicate the speed of gravity when bringing the spray gun down to the floor! Needless to say, it was smashed to pieces. With that, the robot paused as the trainer had while reattaching the gun and continued it's routine while the mangled spray gun continued to spout a now unregulated paint flow in all directions! I just wish they had camera phones in those days. I would have loved to see that in person!

For repetitive work like tong making or other progressive work (with either open or closed dies), a robot would probably work well and I'd bet some of the larger industrial shops use them accordingly. In Grant's case, he could charge a magazine with bar blanks, then the robot pulls a blank, heats it in the induction unit, places it in the machine and 'violin' - a finished tong blank is born.

If I never used it in my work, I'd still want one! But......

Wadaya mean "place it in the machine"? It can darn well pick it up by itself! I'd have two coils, put a cold one in the empty coil, take the hot one out and forge. My press has pneumatic controls, robot starts cycle, when press goes back up it sends an "event" to the robot control and the robot makes the next move. I have a CNC mill, a CNC EDM, and an automatic saw. Not unusual for me to have four or five machines running working by myself. The robot would give me more time to surf the net and post inane threads!

Personally I prefer my robots to obey their programming. When they start thinking for themselves, it's not a good thing.

You want to see something interesting and often times destructive? Watch a robot out of control with a program that has become corrupted or improperly assigned. The big 5 axis robots can do a lot of damage before you hit the E-stop. :mad:

What I was getting at is: The programming is the headache. Every aspect of the job function has to be identical. One little thing changes, and robot job function must change. This is not efficient or cost effective until several thousand identical cycles will be ran.

Brian: INPUT! I NEED INPUT! Wow! I'd pay a dollar to see that!

When I get mine I'll be asking you a lot of questions. I'm one of the few here who actually does do thousands of repetitive operations. Believe me, I do it all manually and even MY program gets corrupted sometimes.

Forewarned is forearmed! Seems like like maybe a few simple cables that stay slack in the allowed work envelope and are daisy-chained to the E-stop would do a lot.

Keep talking, please. I know diddly squat about this stuff. But I am serious and it's great to find someone who has the experience! Are there any simulators around? Or programming information? Is there a standard code like G-code or proprietary or what?

Edited by nakedanvil

So, it opening the fridge door, taking out a beer, popping the top then handing it to me at the anvil at a predetermined time would not be out of the realm of possibilities?

I'm thinkin' I just found my new quitting-time whistle!

Let me paint the picture for you of what would happen at my house.

At the store, favorite beer in cans was gone, had to buy bottles.
Place beer in the fridge in regular spot. Wife re-arranges fridge, places carton of eggs on top of beer.
Kids leave the barstool in front of the fridge door again.

Fast forward to quitting time:

Robot leaps into action, hits barstool in front of fridge, placing a new unplanned opening in the fridge door. Robot grippers reach for a can of beer, but grabs the glass bottle instead. In the process of removing beer bottle from fridge, it scrambles the eggs and distributes them all over the surrounding premises. In an effort to "pop the top" it effectively removes the top of the bottle leaving a foamy scrambled egg with glass shard mess ready to place in my hand.

I think I will stick to getting my own beer from the fridge how I want it and when I want it. ;)

Keep talking, please. I know diddly squat about this stuff. But I am serious and it's great to find someone who has the experience! Are there any simulators around? Or programming information? Is there a standard code like G-code or proprietary or what?

If you do thousands of repetitive motions it may be cost effective for you. Just keep in mind, every aspect must be identical.

There are many forms of safeguards and crash prevention methods. These include sensors, vision systems, and proximity switches. Very new robots can also be programmed with force-feedback instructions which can sense an abnormal obstruction and "fault" out. This will only work if the robot payload is consistent from cycle to cycle. I don't know of any simulators, but generally the sales staff will look at your application and be very helpful with helping to determine best fit products.

The robots that I deal with each have software and programming that is unique to that specific manufacturer. (GE Fanuc, Yamaha, IAI, ect.)

I do not use robots in a CNC environment, but I would be willing to bet that there is a manufacturer who has developed an application that goes hand in hand with CNC machines and programming. The first one I would look into would be Fanuc, as there are CNC machines around that use them for their programming and software.

If I never used it in my work, I'd still want one! But......

Wadaya mean "place it in the machine"? It can darn well pick it up by itself! I'd have two coils, put a cold one in the empty coil, take the hot one out and forge. My press has pneumatic controls, robot starts cycle, when press goes back up it sends an "event" to the robot control and the robot makes the next move. I have a CNC mill, a CNC EDM, and an automatic saw. Not unusual for me to have four or five machines running working by myself. The robot would give me more time to surf the net and post inane threads!

I meant put the hot piece under the flypress, move to however many stations are needed, then drop the part when done.

I used to work in the injection molding biz and we had Sailor and IBM robots all over the place. The Sailors were simple pick, pull and place on 2 or 3 axes, the IBM's were capable of very complex work. Once programmed properly, both types would run 24/7 for months with little PM or attention - although clean, filtered air is a must.