I Forge Iron

Rawhide hammer face repair

I got an old rawhide hammer at Trade's Days this weekend. Of course the rawhide is gone and I'd like to replace it. I've found plenty of sources for new faces even copper ones.

This hammer doesn't open up. Has anyone tried to replace a face on a press-in hammer? I found this link and it looks like this might not be possible without a press and that tool that crimps the hammer back around the leather. What do y'all think?

http://www.thorhammer.com/thor_hammer_refacing_hammers.pdf

14776.attach

14777.attach

To quote the website:
'Many customers find it more economical to use the copper end to destruction and
then replace the complete hammer.'
I had several boxes full of these things (copper and hide) and all the people that I offered them to said the same thing. It's not worth the effort.

When I first saw the title to this thread I thought, MAN his face must really be messed up to want to repair it with a rawhide mallet!

It's kind of like James wanting to know about welding with his defibrillator. I figured MAN that must be one powerful defibrillator!

Unfortunately I have no practical suggestions other than to say. Anything CAN be done. Is it worth it is the question.

Frosty