I Forge Iron

Frosty is about to hit 5,000 posts!

GEE . . . Thanks. :rolleyes:

When I saw the subject line I got the mental image of riding a motorcycle along a fence line really REALLY fast. :o

You are to a point right, winter in AK can be long and unexciting, especially if you're kind of burnt out on outdoor life. I spent 19 years as an exploration driller and most of that in a tent in the field somewhere in the bush, summer and winter. For some reason I just don't get the kick out of rolling out of a sleeping bad in sub-zero temps like I used to. So yeah, I spend a lot more time online in the winter.

Then there was the little lapse of basic safety procedures I engaged in Sept 12, 2006 when I took a dirt dive off a tilt deck trailer at work. I was loading a little track excavator rigged to clean under guardrails. The thing is really small, there was a good 18" of clear deck on each side and the tracks are less than 12" high. So, I swung out of the cab, let go with my left hand to close the door and while hanging from the grab bar by my left hand swung my left leg off the track and slid down to the trailer deck. Well, I don't know if I just stepped off the edge, slipped on the dew covered edge rail or what but I didn't have enough grip one handed to keep from taking a dive.

The way my one handed grip twisted me I ended up trying to drive my left elbow into the ground like a tent peg. Planet Earth won that one you betcha. Shattered my arm into nine (9) usable pieces and a handful of rubble. I can show you the X-rays if you'd like but . . .

Everything healed up nicely except one pesky break, the most damaged one of course and that one took better than 2 1/2 years to heal enough to be released for work. Heck, I retired 2 years ago last May 31. That's a LONG time to be on restricted duty so I hung with you guys.

I'm just glad you were willing to put up with me.

Frosty

And Frosty has some important duties here at Iforge Iron:

Official "Greeter", look at the number of "New Member" Posts where Frosty is first or second poster. And he manages to get a personal message to each new person based on their intro.

Keeper of the Northern Fire. Always upbeat in a place that either gets too much or too little sun, or too much or too little heat.

Always has a spot on comment, even sarcastic when needed.

Always looking for a place for a meal or a nap at a fellow blacksmiths house. Based on his posts, I would say anything he shows your first hand would far outweigh any costs incurred with his visit.

Congrats Frosty, I for one am glad you are here as our "doorman".

I hope that I may see another post like this when you hit 10,000 Frosty... maybe that new power hammer will help. I have an old buddy up there who retired as Wasilla police chief a few years ago. I know that I have personally learned a lot from reading your posts and I am truly grateful!

I hope that I may see another post like this when you hit 10,000 Frosty... maybe that new power hammer will help. I have an old buddy up there who retired as Wasilla police chief a few years ago. I know that I have personally learned a lot from reading your posts and I am truly grateful!

Do you mean Charlie?

Awe, you guys are too kind. I like the company.

Frosty