I Forge Iron

Rounding hammer

Iron Falcon 72

The only real problem is getting a small enough sledge hammer. So many of them are 6 to 8 pounds - with some running up to 12 or 15 pounds.

A classic Rounding Hammer just has a flat face on one end and a slightly rounded face on the other side. A little work with a grinder "rounds" a hammer face in a short amount of time. And then a little sanding smooths it up.

Although, there is only a slight difference between the two faces.

So starting with one of those 2 to 3 pound double faced hammers the hardware stores sell as a BIG hammer would be a good choice. Garage sales and flea markets are a good source for slightly used BIG hammers.

Now, putting a 12 inch handle on an 8 pound sledge for some "light" one-handed work has a way of adjusting your opinions about your arm strength and stamina!

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

p.s. Good thing I ... lost ... that 12 pound sledge with 10 inch handle somewhere under the workbench.

• 3 years later...

Well I’m a bit late to respond to this post, but anyway, yesterday I took a 1250 gram little Peddinghaus sledge I had laying around and radiused one end, polished it up and made a new longer handle for it. I love this hammer so far! I was skeptical at first as the faces were already quite short, but it feels really balanced, and very comfortable to use.