I Forge Iron

Mega Mailbox

This is a commissioned mailbox. The clients go on longer trips from time to time and want to be able to lock up their mail and know it is weather and theft safe.

This is all made from 10 guage plate. The main box is 24" square. The opening for the chute is 12" high and 14" wide.

They love fishing for walleye and raise Australian Border Collies.

They had an old dog that would go on the fishing boat with them and bat at the fish in the live well...untill the day they caught a Northern Pike and the fish bit the dog.

They wanted a Ausie batting and barking at a jumping walleye.

I am giong to paint the whole works with a black automotive paint. Just thought I would share and get some feedback.

John

14688.attach

14689.attach

14690.attach

14691.attach

14692.attach

Nice work
Here in rural Minnesota several used to have custon mailboxes made from beer kegs and many other heavy gauge metal. Mainly for decoration but it is also sport to jumpout with a bat and beat the box with baseball bats.

The Post office will not deliver to a mail box that doesnt have a postmaster approval stamp on it so they are a thing of the past.

Will the Post office in your area put the mail in our container?

It looks sturdy like the ones that used to be on corners in towns and in front of the post office to drop mail in.

Nice mailbox.

Postmaster approval usually only comes up if someone puts up something too weird. If it's made within PO specs, height, distance from driving surface, etc. they MUST deliver.

Sometimes you run into a true PITA post master though so getting anything approved can be more trouble than it's worth.

A big factor to consider is liability. ANYTHING on your property within the road right of way is YOUR responsibility if some one is injured hitting it. Suits against things like trees and naturally occurring formations don't usually win but things like heavy duty collision proof mailboxes can cost ya plenty.

Frosty

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The mailbox is in place and they love it. Thought I would share what it looks like in place.

I don't want to argue...but it is a Walleye. The customer is always right and they call it a Walleye!

Got another commission yesterday for a business sign for a Veterinary office. Going to Canyon Ferry, MT tonight so I can go pick up my trip hammer in the morning...God is good and wants us to be happy!!!

16485.attach

16486.attach

16487.attach

16488.attach

16489.attach