I Forge Iron

Yesterdays near loss of my eye.

I'm already blind in one eye ,from a virus when I was 3 years old, so wearing safety glasses is a no brainer for me. I use band tinted polycarbonate, the dark band at the top helps reduce some of the glare from the fire. I do like the sound of the Pryamax goggles, I must see if I can track some down over here.

IanR, If you can not find them perhaps Glenn can add them to the Iforge store. I can get him a decent wholesale price.
Do a quick search for Hagemeyer. They are the international mill supply company I buy from. In the US they are Hagemeyer N.A.

Hello Folks,

I was cleaning dry concrete from garden tools with a 4" grinder a few days ago. Whack with a hammer and knock off the loose stuff with the wire wheel. I was wearing wrap around safety glasses and have a cord on them so when using my welding helmet they are easy to take on and off, and they are always with me. Felt protected. To shorten a long story they have small correction lenses quite low and I was tilting my head back to see through them and a piece of concrete made it inside. Several peices to be honest. One bounced off the inside of the lens and deep enough in my cornea that getting it out was difficult( for the Doc not me).

I am now looking for a pair of stick-on lenses like big contacts I saw in passing somewhere. You order them in your script and then can apply them to the inside of your chosen safety glasses and reapply when you need to. If anyone has info on these it would be helpfull for myself and others.

I dodged the bullet this time and glad you did too:)

Dave

Both my pairs of glasses are safety in my bi-focal script, the shop pair also have side shields and Rose-1 filters for IR. But I can see where it would be nice to have an "add on script" for things. I like that idea alot.

Edited by steve sells
typo, what else?

That's not a bad idea ptree. I have found a distributor in Australia. just waiting for them to email me a list of retailers ;).

Cheers

Ian Ross

P.S Glad to hear you escaped serious injury. I've had 48 years to get used to one eye, I would imagine loosing an eye in later life would be difficult to deal with.:(

• 11 months later...

Not at a forge, but when I was just out of the Army I worked this construction type job. We all had access to safety glasses but no one wore them. I even had my own because I needed a certain type to fit over my regular glasses.
Anyhow, the boss was nailing a sheet of T-111 to a stud and when he struck a nail it bounced back and struck him just above the eye on the supraorbital arch. It literally missed his eye by a fraction of an inch and it drew a good amount of blood. Had he been less lucky he'd have been blinded in that eye.
Since then I've been semi-fanatical about wearing safety glasses if there's a chance of any kind of hazardous flying object or substance.

I have my regular glasses done as safety glasses: wide lens aviator style looked just like the non-safety ones I used to wear. Now I'm never without them! Shoot I have been know to swim with them on! (cable temples)

Tommy,you are just too cool!!
I bet if they`re not sunglasses they`re at least transition lenses.The ladies love aviators. B)