I Forge Iron

My first anvil

Finally!

I have a portable anvil, courtesy of eBay and sourced from a friend of mine who runs a scrap metal yard.

Photo 1
Looks okay in this picture - but just how 'big' is it?

Photo2
As you can see - not very big really - at least it is very portable!

Photo3
So now I need a stand for it, I made one out of scrap treated pine sleeper timber and used a couple of metal offcuts as guides for the anvil on the stand.

Seems to hold itself in place and remain stable. Oh well - it will do until I find this little anvil a 'big brother'.:rolleyes:

14624.attach

14625.attach

14626.attach

very nice,

I turned down an similar sized anvil (before I knew much at all about them) the guy then sold it for nearly twice as much as I would have had to pay.

Do you mind if I ask how much you paid for it. I get the impression the collectors go crazy over these little anvil, its nice to see one set up to be used not displayed.

Interesting with Stourbridge written on it.

very nice,

I turned down an similar sized anvil (before I knew much at all about them) the guy then sold it for nearly twice as much as I would have had to pay.

Do you mind if I ask how much you paid for it. I get the impression the collectors go crazy over these little anvil, its nice to see one set up to be used not displayed.

Interesting with Stourbridge written on it.

Well - I paid $350 Aussie dollars for it, mostly because it is an Attwoods anvil so I knew it was old and forged. Hurt the wallet a bit but probably money well spent in the long run.

And thanks for the hammer advise folks. I may go and purchase one of those little kids plastic tool sets so as to get a hammer small enough and light enough not to hurt the anvil.

Nice one Cliff!
Great size for carrying around to demos for sure. Plus looks like it's in great shape too, considering its age and the potential for mayhem and misfortune with the little ones. Don't worry about the kiddies hammer, it was built to use but not to abuse, the right tool for the right job. Small anvil, small hammer, small material. Large anvil, large hammer, large material. Pretty simple really. Enjoy.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Update time,

I no longer have an anvil - I now have an anvil collection with the addition of slightly larger and slightly wounded big brother (needs a bit of a weld up before it starts work).

Also the trestle stand for junior was a bit 'lightweight' so I sourced a very heavy and very solid block of 'yellow box' eucalyptus timber for a new anvil stand.

Works a treat and weighs a ton!

By the way - you know how you keep those strange little fasteners that you can't think of a use for right now but may do one day? Well - the long head hex insert M6 fasteners left over from an Ikea build finally found a home as the perfect anvil keepers for the stump, so easy to screw in and out as needed.

newstump.jpg

Anvilfamily.jpg

Oh Yah!! Now your cooking with gas! That is one serious piece of beam you found! Looks like it's in tip top shape as well. I might spray it with some sort of sealant and also bug protector if your gonna have it outside. Critters like to make their home in your stump.

I might spray it with some sort of sealant and also bug protector if your gonna have it outside. Critters like to make their home in your stump.

Funny you should mention that, the centre of the post was full of dirt and when I started to clean it out a whole lot of tiny white grubs came out. So I spent a good hour cleaning out the centre of the post from one end to the other to get all the bugs and mud out. I then poured boiling water down the hole to cook any stray bugs. The top of the post has an estapol finish on it for now, I still want to sand it dead smooth, then I will treat the whole post.

One advantage of the hole through the post is that it makes it a wee bit lighter, the other advantage is that I can slide the long end of an angled workpiece down the hole if I need to work an angle on the anvil.

I don't see what the larger anvil needs welding up. It looks to be in excellent shape from the pic. How about a couple close ups of it, especially the damage.

Repairing an anvil is a risky proposition, especially if it doesnt really need it.

Nice block. A pint of acetone poured down the center will take care of bugs to bacteria and mold, then it'll evaporate without leaving a residue.

Frosty

Guys - what you cannot see in the photos are the cracks.

One half of the top plate is cracked away from the rest of the anvil. The crack runs across the top, along one side 1/4" down from the top, across the front and back up the other side. I reckon I could lever half the top plate off with a bamboo skewer if I could get it in the crack.

Hit it with a hammer and is is very flat and dead.

I am assured a groove out of the crack and weld up will bring it back to good use, and I am fortunate enough to have a 'top gun' welder for a friend in the local fire brigade.

If I can photograph the cracks then I will post some photos.

Cheers!