I Forge Iron

class tool caddy

I am about to take a course at Touchstone with Mark Aspery, and for the first time, I will be able to take a lot of my own tools, so I went out and bought a small (made in America) handtruck at LOWES, and then made a small hanging caddy for chisels, hammers, flux, wax and other stuff to put in and hang on, and also to tote my tools boxes in and out, just a silly little idea that came to me just before sleep, and I had to draw it up and give it a go. Let me know what you all think, I'll try to post nightly during the course, and maybe some pics if the connection is good enough, can't wait...

I like it Mike. let us know how it works in practice, what changes you'd make, do differently, etc. please.

I've given thought to making a tool trunk sort of thing. Basically it'd be similar to a steamer trunk with a flat top, detachable wheels and a handle. In use I'd stand it on end and open it between 90* and 180*. From somewhere inside or attached to a side, top, etc. there'd be a piece of heavy plywood with a little rim to serve as a table top.

Inside there'd be a couple drawers for small tools and a couple racks for hammers tongs, etc.

I haven't fleshed the idea out let alone built one. It's just one of those things that seems like it'd be really handy.

Frosty

Yeah TD, the reason for the red is that our NYSDBA chapter meets in my barn, and I need to keep my personal tools differed from all the guys and chapter stuff, so I just use colonial red for everything.
Frosty, when you flesh out that trunk, be sure to share it, this will be a one time thing probably, therefore not a ton of work went into it, but it's a start, and from there?? who knows.

egads.... a drink holder, agh now I gotta go out and... hmmm maybe I oughta add a power strip for a radio, and a hook for my lunchbox, and well of course all these good ideas come after it's built, but as I said, it's a first off, so we will go with it an see how she runs.

Mike,
Nice idea and good for the back. You will enjoy Mark. He is great and yes you will have to find more room for all the new tools you will make with Mark. I have taken 3 classes from Mark and I too get as excited about them as I did Christmas when I was younger.
Enjoy the class and tell Mark Hi from Gaylan from Utah. I can't wait for the pictures.

hi all,
i couldn't resist buying this last year;
'The Toolbox Book' by Jim Tolpin, rrp $25 US.
Strictly speaking it is aimed at woodworkers, but hey, they are our brothers-in-craft. The design considerations are the same, included are many examples of carts, totes, wheeled site boxes.

Andrew O'Connor
ps we are trying to plan a blacksmithing day at Sydney Heritage Fleet shipyard for early July, shall keep you posted.

OK I'm done with the class, and here are my observation on the caddy.
It worked great, even Mark thought it was a good idea! The only draw back was the hammer handles hanging down and getting in the way of the tool box lid, but all in all, I will keep it and use it for demo's and such, very handy.

Looks pretty good, I like the idea of wheels in the workshop. You can easily relocate it when it gets in the xxxx way.
Don't U just wish your shop was as big as Mark Asperys. Think of the possibilities.

Never been to Marks shop, but where we were was about the best blacksmith school setup I've ever seen, if they had a resident blacksmith it would be even better, as the tooling would be more expansive, but making your own is part of this gig, so many tools, so little time....

yeah it's cool, and if you get Marks new book "Mastering the fundementals of leafwork" there are a bunch more cool tools to make, I can't wait to get started on those, yeeeehaw!

Just took the leafwork class and made most of the tools... whole lot of fun