I Forge Iron

Just getting started

Hey everyone i'm in the process of gathering up the stuff to build my first forge so please pay me no mind if I ask goofy questions or just sulk in the background soaking up as much info as possible. I remember playing in my greatgrandfather's smithy as a young child.now trying to start my own thanks in advance for all tips grandpafischer

GP fischer, Welcome to Iforgeiron. This is a resource rich site with a lot of experienced smiths to help. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We will try to get you the best information possible. Please go to the User Control Panel (CP) and fill in your location, experience etc. It helps us direct you to local smiths.

Welcome aboard GP, glad to have ya.

We're always eager to help infect a new victim. This is a terribly addictive craft you know, once in you're never out.

Ask away, read lots and enjoy the ride.

Frosty

I suggest IForgeIron.com > metalworking lessons > Lessons in Blacksmithing as either a good place to start or a good review, depending on your current knowledge level.

The IForgeIron.com > blueprints (how-to tutorials) is another good place to spend some time.

After lunch you can browse the IForgeIron Forum, or the IForgeIron Gallery for information and ideas. Welcome to IForgeIron, enjoy your visit.

It really depends on what fuel source is easiest to get around your area. I am just a begginner as well, but I have used both charcoal and coal. They both work well, although charcoal burns really fast compared to coal. I think the heat it a little better and more controllable with coal as well. However if you don't have access to coal where you live, charcoal is the way to go, especially since you can make your own charcoal if you have a mind to, I have and its actually pretty easy! You might also want to look into gas forges, alot of people here seem happy with those.