I Forge Iron

Order of Operations

looks like you guys are catching on well, soon I can pass on the mantle of moderating this section to one of you:)

normalizing should be a part of all blacksmithing operations to relieve stress. which in turn help prevent warping and cracking.

Annealing is to lessen the amount of grinder belts/files we wear out, as Hardened steel will eat them a lot faster than the softened steel.

grinding can also introduce tress into the metal. so even with all this other stuff goingon, I still normalize a few times after grinding to make sure, then I harden. And I always temper ASAP after hardening, as I turned a nice fencing 'off hand' dagger into 3 boot knives, by not tempering soon, and it cracked into pieces while it was waiting, from the stress.

Of course most times there is a little more grinding to do after, to clean up scale from the hardening operation, as well as final sharpening to give it the edge.

Edited by steve sells
weird typo

ok here it is in a nutshell
anneal
forge to shape
normalize
final forge
normalize
grind polish etc
normalize
harden
polish
temper
final polish
handle guard etc
sell

my way not necessarily the right way but it works for me

Ok, so this is what I'm gathering from your input:
Forge, normalize every once and a while
?Anneal?
grind to final shape
?normalize?
Harden
ASAP Temper

correct, only reason to anneal is to make softer for grinding.
Temper immediately after hardening to prevent the quenching stress from fracturing the harden blade.

You got it!

Normalizing will also refine grain in modern steels.

I normalize 3 times after forging. Then grind/file/sand. Then Normalize again, Then Harden-Temper, then final grind, then polish, then hilt then make a scabbard, then sharpen!

If I am interrupted forging I will generally let the piece anneal in the forge (propane).

• 1 month later...

Thank you guys for asking and answering this question so recently. saves me from extensive searching.
I have been reading a lot about bushcrafting and am getting into trying out several blades for the same. currently using car coil springs from an early 70's impala. I just ran a 4.5 inch grinder with cutting wheel down one side of the spring and ended up with a lot of single turn pieces to practice with. I know it is probably cheaper to buy one, but nowhere near as fun.

thanks again
paul

Also pay close attention to the colors of the steel when you are tempering. I heat treated a knife yesterday, then tempered in the forge. Evidently didn't pay very good attention to the colors. After heat treat, the knife skated a file pretty easily.
To make a long story short, I had the knife in my hand a little while ago. As I reached to turn on a radio, I dropped the knife, point first, into the concrete carport floor. Took the tip off of it, I noticed while I was reshaping the tip that the edge is VERY soft now since the tempering.
So losing the tip was a bad thing. Finding out I ruined the temper was not so bad.