I Forge Iron

Intro - been lurking for a while ...

RcRacer

Just wanted to say hello before I actually started posting. The screen name is old and misleading. I am not really a racer and I no longer participate in RC but that's where it came from. Years ago, when my sons were younger, they didn't have drivers licenses and girlfriends so we raced 1/8th scale RC monster trucks together. I was the pit monkey and did all of the building, repairs and tuning, they did the driving / racing. That's where the metalworking started. In order to make custom parts, I bought a mini lathe, mini mill and a 4x6 bandsaw. As time went on, I acquired a MIG and TIG because I discovered that not everything screwed together. Over time my garage evolved into a metal shop and now contains all of the above along with a Plasma cutter/CNC table, tubing bender and a rebuilt 1981 Harley Ironhead :D I dabbled in yard art and have made the odd mechanical part for friends and relatives. In December of 2008, I suffered a stroke am now in the process of recovering the use of my right arm and leg. Riding the motorcycle is out for now but I have started to do things in the shop again. In fact this evening, I TIG welded for the first time in 5 months. It wasn't very pretty but it was solid. I've always had an interest in making knife blanks on the PlasmaCam and have been interested in building a forge for hardening and tempering. My current project is a T jet burner that is completed except for the flair. Yes, I know it's better to buy one but I need to make one first :rolleyes: Once I build my forge, I would like to dabble in a little hand forging knives and tools. That's why I joined this forum. I'm looking forward to learning from the members here. This is great forum. When I get my pictures hosted, I'll post my burner project.
Dom
PS. Luckily I have real job because I don't make any money doing this :D

Edited by RcRacer

Welcome aboard Dom, glad to have ya.

Speedy recovery on the stroke, more people are getting 100% back than ever before.

I don't use a flare on my "T" burner but I'll be interested in hearing how it works. What's the tube size?

Frosty

To everyone,
Thanks for the welcome and words of encouragement.

Frosty,
The tube length is 8 inches. I will be testing in free air since I haven't built the forge yet. I was under the assumption that I needed a flair for that purpose. I'll let you know how it works out when my regulator arrives - it's supposedly "in the mail". I have additional pipe in case I need to change the length of the main tube.

Dom