I Forge Iron

Started my PH almost a year ago. As a home machinist, I chose a complicated and somewhat over-engineered design patterned after 100# LG but using industrial heim joints. Total wt: 975#, anvil 305# (traded for 24 pack of beer, generic none the less), ram 72#, 287 BPM, frame 4X4X.25 sq. tubing filled with sand, 3 sets of 2.25 X 2.25 X 4 dies made from farm subsoiler toolbar, 1.5 hp baldor motor, and sow block with adjustable gibbs using UHMW plastic guides. Cost $1300. Lessons learned: several failed cluch designs before going with tire hammer, not pretty but works great. With Dave Manzer's CD and video recording with slow motion play back, I tuned the hammer to the sweet spot in just 15 minutes! With 72# ram, I need to go with either higher spring rate or higher BPM for max efficiency.

13669.attach

13670.attach

13671.attach

13672.attach

That looks really good!

Have you already fed hot metal to it? I have never used a mechanical hammer (only two different air hammers). Can you easily forge both very small and large stock with same settings?

anvil 305# (traded for 24 pack of beer, generic none the less)

I'm not quite sure if that was a fair trade.:)

Other than a couple 3/8" tapers, I've only 'smashed' some scrap steel. To test the hammer and dies, I cold forged a piece of 3/8" round to less than 1/8 easily and without any damage. 1" square should be no problem. Minotaur, I'm guessing that forging stock either 1/2" bigger or smaller than optimum die spacing and I'll be losing power. But it only takes about a minute to to lossen the 1" fine thread nuts on the top link and change the spacing.

I really like the rear tire clutch. After building mine with the tire in front (like Spencer's design), I wish I would have done it this way. I didn't allow for much room for counter weights. Its not bad but could use a couple more pounds to smooth it out. Your design totally eliminates this problem. Nice job!! Makes me think about a retrofit :D