I Forge Iron

Steel Sculpture/Sound Phenomenology

Thought i'd share some pictures of a sculpture i made for my metal fabrication (which was also an experiment for my Science of Sound class). Its a 7 foot long tunnel made of chicken wire and wrapped in raw clay (which provides excellent insulation and resonance), perched atop steel stands. At one end there is a large bass amplifier hooked up to a synthesizer (which allowed me to control waveform, frequency, and amplitude), and there is also a fog machine which will inject smoke directly into the tunnel in front of the amp. The viewer stands at the opposing end, creating a unique space for them to enter. As the sound is blasted through the smoke, the changes in air pressure create some beautiful patterns in the smoke.

13597.attach

13598.attach

13599.attach

13600.attach

13601.attach

13602.attach

13603.attach

Everything that is sound. The way sound moves, how fast, our ears' perception of it, musical theory and instruments. Just about everything.

nice.........my background is in physical acoustics :cool::cool:

my favorite trick was to light cotton on fire with sound !! Edited by johnptc

Sounds coool...

drank it down to 20 Hz, and they'll see things an dfeel things but not hear em!!

I work in the entertainment industry, and we deal with 100,000 watt PA systems, and 1500 watt bass cabinets, by the dozen, so I have seen/felt some of the things you are talking about.

Good stuff, Thanks for sharing, any video??

I have a short video, but it doesnt give the full effect because my camera ran out of space just as i started the sound. I have lengthier videos on a friends camera, but i havent had the opportunity to get those from him.
Oh and i just found out that i cannot attach quicktime movie files... If your interested enough to see the video i guess i could email it to anyone? im not sure though