I Forge Iron

My welded firepot !

Here's my welded firepot I've been working on for my table forge. I used the design in the book "A Blacksmith's Primer" by Randy McDaniel, except I used 1/2" plate steel instead of 1/4" or 3/8". I had the pattern CNC plasma cut so everything fit up really tight. The root passes were TIG welded and the filler passes are 7018. The flange is TIG welded to the pot portion. The tuyere has 2 slots 5/8" X 2".

13552.attach

13553.attach

13554.attach

• 2 years later...

I got 8 hard years in my first firebox and tuyere of this design. At that point the sides warped, not burned! Paint was still on the sides and it was only 1/4" plate! I remade the firebox from 3/8" this time and welded it to the old tuyere with klinker breaker and expect a lot of years from it. The angle of the sides and angle of the grate make all of the difference!

Love the job. I did the same, but out of 3/8 check plate. I never put in a clink breaker just a grate made from 3/8 rod, from a mesh we had in shop. I do find with the design you have that the clinkers form about 1/2 inch above the bottom, maybe due to the air flow and no flat bottom area. Oh, and I welded my box into my forge table so there is no lip.

What are the dimensions of the box?

I made mine using the design in the same book(thank you Randy McDaniel) using 3/8" plate. I have been using it steadily for 6-7 years with no sign of degradation. I'm thinking it will last as long as I do. I didn't tig the root passes, just mig. The parts were cut with an O/A torch then welded together. No one can see the workmanship. I don't have a clinker breaker and don't miss it.