I Forge Iron

Using a Touchmark

I got my stamp from the Stamp man. Now that I've got it I'm not sure of the right way to use it. Do you stamp with the metal hot or cold or in the middle. I just don't want to screw it up when I first use it. I have a tendency to do that on occasion. I've used stamps on metal before but I've never had a "special" stamp before.
Billy

Edited by bsiler

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys had some deaths in the family so i have been out of touch a bit.

Top quality stamp steel is W-1 as it has high impact strength and good wear capabilities.

The draw temp is around 450F to temper it to approximately 59Rc

If you stamp red hot material and leave it on the part for more than say 5 or 10 seconds it will begin to absorb the heat and aneal (make soft) the characters. So like a previous post said if you are doing it hot do it fast.

If it is below 400F then you are fine.

Cold is fine but if it is heat treated above 32 Rc (most steel is dead soft or below 12 Rc) you will flatten it out faster hitting hard material.

Hope this helps.

Tom

• 2 months later...

Guys I have been off line as per request of the forum owner and I repect his wishes and as I have said many times I am not here to make a buck. The work I do for the forum memebers is strickly as a favor.

The kind of work we do as the number 1 rated engraving shop in the world would normally be very expensive. But I am gear head and love to work with anything metal so I offer our services at cost to members because you can go direct to us and not through distributers and so on.

Anyhow call or e-mail my inside office guy if you need anything.
Brad Byrne 586-949-8400 ext 17
bbyrne@columbiamt.com

Tom, I feel you have been a real friend to many of us here at I Forge Iron. Your willingness to respond with any information we need about touch marks has been super.
I am glad I read this post because it just may help my touch mark last longer.
There is a saying that goes kind of like this;
"TRUST EVERYBODY, but BRAND YOUR CALVES"
I am real pleased with mine.
I got burglarized last winter so now I mark most all of my tools with it. I am able to place my touch mark in places on my tools and equipment that looks like it is natural to the tool. Now I will be able to positively identify my tools after this.
I also make sure everything that I take with me to a hammer-in is marked. I believe it could save the day by avoiding bad feelings like I have seen happen before.

Let me see now, I need to put this to memory!
Using my touch mark below 400 degrees is fine, but if it is RED HOT, do it FAST.

My problem at this time in my life is that I don

• 2 weeks later...

Frosty:
I never thought of that.
I am sure it would remind me that I should not take a nap while marking hot steel!
Let me write that down!!!! Hold business end of stamp bare Handed while stamping hot... -- I got er down!
I will give that technique a try tomorrow!
Fast hand Ted!!! :rolleyes:

Thank you again Tom,
I haven't used mine very much yet. Now I will.
I'm very well pleased with it. Made just like I wanted it.

Never thought about stamping my tools.

Good idea Frosty!!

Thank You All,
Billy

• 1 month later...